Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

when will gas prices go down?

Old 05-19-2004 | 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OPEC is the sole reason for the gas price increase.. Its a big scam they run... They flood the market with way too much gas forcing the prices down for a short amount of time. Then in turn cut the output way down until the refineries start to complain and ask for more.. Then they raise prices and the refineries raise prices claiming a gas shortage. (Which was caused by OPEC practices) So both OPEC and the refineries raise prices... Guess who pays? This cycle goes on and on steadily raising gas prices. If OPEC did its job right and not in greed it would just supply the oil refineries with the oil they need and not flood the market then starve it until gas prices spike. But they way they do it basically conditions us to get used to the prices without complaints. In 6 months we will be wishing that gas was 1.99 a gallon. Just like we wish that gas was back to 1 a gallon. Of course there is also the fact that we pay over 80 cents a gallon in taxes. Ummm yea it wasnt the republicans that came up with that one either.. Ever realize how much you are taxes?? You make X amount a year which is income taxed... You make money to be able to buy things which you are taxes on. IN the end how much money did you actually spend versus how much you paid in taxes.. For most people you pay more in taxes than what you keep.

BTW the US oil prices have not gone up the same as OPEC.. I have land with oil riggs on it and I have not seen ONE PENNY extra since prices have risen. So the prices are moved up at the refinery and OPEC levels.
Old 05-19-2004 | 07:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving to Off Topic
Old 05-19-2004 | 07:14 AM

one day there's nothing but lawyers on this site. the next there's nothing but automotive engineers. today everyone is an economist.

i'll throw out the topic de jour for tomorrow. it's "why are oranges orange? please, if everyone could have their agricultural hats on tomorrow the discussion will begin promptly at 7AM EDT.

Old 05-19-2004 | 07:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

listened to it on the news yesterday. It's the increased demand (mostly from emerging nations such as China) and the instability of the Middle East right now. The speaker is an oil price expert.
Don't know if that's what "they" would like us to believe or that's the real truth.

(if I "disappear" and stop posting then it must be the real "truth" )
Old 05-19-2004 | 07:48 AM

When exactly has the middle east been stable?? 1000...... 2000 years ago?? Nope they were at war with each other then too.
Old 05-19-2004 | 07:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

In your dreams.
Old 05-19-2004 | 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

we in the US should be thankful of our gas prices, even now.

inflation adjusted, they are no where near the high. I think soon (probably before the election, hehe), the strategic petroleum reserves will be tapped. clinton did it, bush can, too. it's the incumbent's campaign weapon.
Old 05-19-2004 | 11:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid_Niki
As soon as the republicans are out of control of the US.
Old 05-20-2004 | 04:52 AM

It's OK for now. At least the enjoyment of driving the s2k can overcome the high cost of fuel. One day when their pumps run dry bread and orange juice will cost them alot more than $2 per gl or pound.

The clock is ticking barrel by barrel.
Old 05-20-2004 | 05:00 AM

OPEC is not a scam! It's just a collusion model. I do hate it though. The way to destroy a collusion is to have 1 country cheat and produce more than the set quota. Then other countries will start producing more to match the increased output so they don't loose revenue. In doing so the supply increases and prices go down, but MOST important: it kills the collusion model.
I am guessing that this hasn't happened yet since the OPEC made a comeback and doesn't look like it's going to fail anytime this year...

Quick Reply: when will gas prices go down?