Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

when will gas prices go down?

Old 05-19-2004 | 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when will gas prices go down?

remember about a year ago when gas prices were like 2.30,240 a gallon? (91 octane) soon people started complianing, and all of a sudden (suprise) prices started to drop, i remember paying 1.03 for gas at its lowest after prices started to dip. i paid 2.70 a gallon the other day in san juan cap (i was down there for a dr.s appt and had to splash a couple gallons in to get back home, where i paid 2.45 a gallon) i would think there would be somone one there (consumer advocate or something) helping fight gas prices. i really think some public voices would change things (although gas companys have us by the balls, they know it and theres no price people wont pay, if they need to get around ($5 anyone??) I guess it could be worse....my buddy spends like $75 to fill up his suburban! i have always owned small cars, so anything over 25 a tank and im outraged. (15gallons is the biggest tank ive ever owned) i guess investing in oil companys about 9 months ago would have been a good idea. somone should find a way to undercut gas stations and deliver fuel to the consumer in drums to their home (thats how i get my race fuel). anyone know why gas prices are on the rise (blaming the war? ) or is it just gouging?
Old 05-19-2004 | 04:53 AM

The same is happening in the UK, prices are ridiculous here. They are currently over $8 a gallon. Try that!

The main reason is the middle east, mainly the situation in Iraq. Also IIRC some of the major oil companies lied about their reserves - i.e. they had none!

I personally think that they will continue to rise for the rest of the year, and petrol prices are going to become very high in the UK.
Old 05-19-2004 | 05:42 AM

Supply and demand.

Explosion of demand (both here and in other parts of the world) vs a supply that is being pushed to it's limits. Sounds like a recipe for higher prices in ANY commodity to me.
Old 05-19-2004 | 05:59 AM

They'll go down as soon as OPEC feels like lowering the cost per barrel or the US builds wells in Alaska. I don't see the tree huggers allowing that to happen, so just pray the greedy f*ckers in OPEC eventually feel like lowering prices.
Old 05-19-2004 | 06:07 AM

As soon as the republicans are out of control of the US. Instead of continuing to fill the reserve they should allow that gas into circulation. I'm not syaing to use the reserve, just not continue to add to it for a while!
Old 05-19-2004 | 06:14 AM
WPS

greedy oil companies hehe, from what i recall opec released more oil but with the exxon/mobil, and the shell/texaco merger , they can pretty much charge whatever they want.
not much you can really do though
i dont know how the suv owners can afford these operation costs. i don't know if i should laugh or feel sorry for them
Old 05-19-2004 | 06:26 AM

SUV's, I don't know how a 350Z owner culd afford it, the thing has a 20 gallon gas tank and here in Kansas its 2.20 a gallon... 44 bucks!!!
Old 05-19-2004 | 06:28 AM

Quit complaining try living in the UK
Old 05-19-2004 | 06:32 AM

The federal reserve has 660 Million barrels just sitting there looking dumb, they need to break them out and lower these prices, or better yet take some of the 40 cent a gallon federal tax off the top
Old 05-19-2004 | 06:39 AM
20 Year Member

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

The prices will go down as soon as the world's reliance on crude oil goes down. The reliance isn't only on filling gas tanks, it's on climate control, plastics production, and energy production.

R&D'ing 'green' cars, manufacturing them, and then getting the public (especially the American markets) to 'buy' into them is a big hurdle. (http://www.acpropulsion.com/tzero_pages/tzero_home.htm and http://www.zapworld.com/smart.htm)

Getting people to convert to solar energy to supply their homes with power, and heat is another large cost that people will find a hurdle.
(http://www.solarhouse.com/index2.htm)

This will leave large amounts of oil for manufacturing and the reserve (which is undoubtedly used to keep our warships going). In effect, cost of goods manufacturing should go down due to the world's lessened reliance on oil. OPEC will have to drop prices to keep making profit.

Quick Reply: when will gas prices go down?