Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

What Happened to the SPEED Channel?

Old 05-16-2005 | 08:16 AM

Arrow What Happened to the SPEED Channel?

What the hell happened to the SPEED Channel? Did NASCAR buy them out?
Saturday morning used to be my happy time when I tuned in to the car and engine shows. Now, EVERY time I turn on the Speed Channel, it's NASCAR!
What's next... fishin'?

I turned on the television this Saturday and it was NASCAR on Speed Channel so I go to PBS to catch Norm Abrams walking through a house pointing out chair designs and fashions with a female designer. OMG. No reason for cable any longer.
Old 05-16-2005 | 08:42 AM

Yeah, I agree that SPEED is pure crap now. They need to focus on other racing venues. Then again, remember that MTV used to play music. Now they had to make MTV2 to play music. Will we be getting SPEED 2 channel?
Old 05-16-2005 | 10:00 AM

Fox broadcasts NASCAR

Fox bought Speedvision and turned it into SPEED channel.

Do the math.

In all honesty, it is MUCH better than it was when they first switched over to the SPEED format. At first, it was ALL NASCAR, ALL THE TIME - and the forums on the Speed website lit up like a xmas tree hating it.

THey've toned down a little and offer a little more variety, but not nearly as much as SPEEDVISION used to.
Old 05-16-2005 | 07:12 PM

Question

Yeah.
I've been looking at the family budget and was considering trashing cable in leu of putting that money toward the mortgage.
Man! I don't know how many of you guys watch the "SPEED" Channel for your auto fix, but it has definitely changed toward NASCAR. Trueness that NASCAR racing has its own science... but 23 hours of it! Come on!

AND, I don't know how many of you watch PBS to pick up Norm Abrams, (lord god of woodworking), but that used to be part of my Saturday morning "man time".
When I saw nothing but NASCAR and Norm Abrams walking around with an interior designer, I just about cried. What is this world coming to?
Too many damned designer shows and freakin' NASCAR is everything.

To the SPEED Channel... Show more F1, Monte Carlo, and other driving events - along with the pitbabes.

Let's create a real man channel. Let's have grilling tips, speed tips, engine rebuilds, and Norm Abrams building a workbench for the garage.

Why the upset?
I have two girls and three female cats... I gotta have my man-time. Period.

Support the troops.
CB
Old 05-16-2005 | 08:22 PM

I've never seen a NASCAR show on SPEED. And I watch SPEED all the time. Just finished watching the AMA Supersport race at Infineon, in fact. On SPEED I watch F1, F1 Decade, Le Mans Endurance, Grand-Am Cup, Rolex, SPEED Challenge, WRC, ALMS, AMA motorcycles, FIM motorcycles, Trans-Am, MotoGP, and a little off-road racing here and there.

It's this little thing called "TiVo"! It is the ultimate tool for the racing fan.

Simply, there just isn't enough racing going on at any one time to satisfy everybody's preferences for. So it makes sense to have filler that caters to the largest US racing viewership. Doesn't mean that other interesting raced, like I listed above, get pre-empted. You just have to know when they're shown. Or get TiVo.
Old 05-17-2005 | 05:07 AM

You might have seen an increase in NASCAR shows on Speed Saturdays, because a lot of the races recently have been on Saturday. So now all the Nextel Nascar shows are shown Saturday instead of Sunday.

It's very weird how this season was done in Nascar with impound racing and stuff, i won't bore you with it. But thats why there's been a lot of Nascar on Saturdays.
Old 05-17-2005 | 07:23 AM

Now is the time for you to voice your opinion. Call Speed Channel and ask to speak with their Viewer Relations Dept. Call them at 704-731-2222.

Warren
Old 05-17-2005 | 11:45 AM

Lemme get a few beers in me first. I'll call and ramble on.
I've heard good things about TiVo. I might have to get pro-active and seek out the show times for recording.
Old 05-17-2005 | 11:59 AM

speed as been like this for a while now, ever since they got bought out...... can't believe you just noticed it..
Old 05-17-2005 | 12:33 PM

Maybe if we get everyone from the forum to declare less NASCAR coverage, they might change.

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

Quick Reply: What Happened to the SPEED Channel?