Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

What does it take for old people to stop driving?

Old 07-15-2005 | 08:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

For me (I'm only 27 now, so I may change my mind on the subject later on): death.

Old 07-15-2005 | 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some very old guy in a RED S2000 no less was pulling out of Trader Joes market yesterday. He couldn't get it in reverse, and blocked me from entering the parking lot ( so my ass was out in traffic ) . Once he finally figured out reverse he stalled it once then didn't back up far enough, so he had to do a multi-point turn while me & cars in traffic waited, along with others in the parking lot. How pathetic. Equivalent in bogusness to soccer moms or rich daddy's girls driving huge shiny SUV's to appear cool. I was just appalled that some old guy would have this ultra high performance car & couldn't do simple manuevers in a parking lot. Sorry if you're on this board but you suck at driving & you're probably not gonna get any better at this point.
Old 07-15-2005 | 08:58 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnE,Jul 15 2005, 11:57 AM
I think they should be allowed to "keep on truckin" as long as possible. They drive real slow, so no real threat. They are no worse than most foreigners trying to drive here.
I don't know about you but driving slow in the fast lane is not only an annoyance but a huge threat. Also how about decreased eye sight, hand-eye coordination, reflexes, etc. IMO, next to males under 21, the elderly are the most dangerous members of the driving population today.

I guarantee you that if all old people were forced to take an annual driving skills test, the same test all of us took to get our licenses at 16, most will fail.

Driving is a privledge, not a right.
Old 07-15-2005 | 09:28 AM

axis haha maybe that old guy was the "older experianced guy" looking for that hot young girl in the post above this
Old 07-15-2005 | 10:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mav,Jul 15 2005, 11:58 AM
I don't know about you but driving slow in the fast lane is not only an annoyance but a huge threat. Also how about decreased eye sight, hand-eye coordination, reflexes, etc. IMO, next to males under 21, the elderly are the most dangerous members of the driving population today.

I guarantee you that if all old people were forced to take an annual driving skills test, the same test all of us took to get our licenses at 16, most will fail.

Driving is a privledge, not a right.
Amen to that. I don't know how many times I'm merging behind an old person and they're going 30mph trying to merge on a 60 mph freeway (where everyone is doing 70 mph). Then, to fit in, they SLOW down instead of speeding up! Argh!
Old 07-15-2005 | 11:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Several years ago I remember this tiny little article in the newspaper saying driving tests for people over 80 in our province were being elminated. I was furious. I mean, WTF?!

I think Western society highly values independence - plenty of elderly people have a difficult time accepting that they aren't able to take care of themselves like they used to. For someone like my father, who loves to drive and ride, it will be an extremely sad and distressing day when he is no longer capable of driving safely.
Old 07-15-2005 | 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Jul 14 2005, 03:18 PM
What does it take for old people to stop driving?
Time.

(subtle joke)
Old 07-15-2005 | 11:19 AM

the worst actually is old people driving in rain on the freeway....talk about slow motion.....
Old 07-15-2005 | 01:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Alot of em dont drive...they just do so they'll have a picture ID
Old 07-16-2005 | 08:36 PM

I've been trying to convince my 75-year old grandfather to stop driving for a few years now. He refuses. He has parkinsons disease, so his reactions are slowed. . . it takes like 3 minutes to get him out of an easy chair. Anyway, he drove his car into something stationary last week (not sure what it was). The car is in the shop getting fixed, and he's still going to drive!

I understand the unwillingness to lose one's independence, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Quick Reply: What does it take for old people to stop driving?