Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

What does it take for old people to stop driving?

Old 07-14-2005 | 12:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What does it take for old people to stop driving?

Does any old person just finally say "wow... i suck at driving, i should stop?"

I got my Drivers License renewed today (i turn 36 tomorrow ).

There was this little hunched over old lady in there who was 100% clueless. They called her number about 10 times...finally her neighbor bumped her..... then she walked to the wrong guy.... then when she finally got to the right guy she had to answer 4 questions on the computer (the answer is either "1" or "2").....She would answer one question, then turn away and look at him....."YOU STILL HAVE MORE QUESTIONS"... he was yelling....

They called her name about 5 times until I tapped her and screamed " I THINK THEY HAVE YOUR LICENSE DONE".

She said "I don't hear very well".... YA, NO SHIT!!!!!

I cannot even imagine this poor little old lady driving.
Old 07-14-2005 | 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Scott, My Mom is getting old. In the last 10 years, she has stopped using freeways. In the last couple of years she has stopped driving at night. She used to love shopping; driving from one store to another, just to see what was were. Now she just goes to the nearest grocery store, Target, the library, the dentist, the doctors, and to my house. I bet she puts less than 1,000 miles on her car a year. The grandkids and I take her places she won't drive to. She just renewed her liscense and will probably renew again when it comes due. After that she will probably let the car go and take a taxi if we cannot drive her. Obviously frail old people cannot lug the groceries half a mile, but they still may be healthy enough to live on their own. I bet that old lady you saw at the DMV drives even less than my mom and will soon retire from driving.
PS Do you act as your grandparent's driver?
Old 07-14-2005 | 01:58 PM

yeh not to be mean since we all got grandparents but....the old drivers are usually the people goign 10mph below the speed limit when its 35mph drives me crazy lol Then ever notice the way they hold their steering wheel like thye have a grip of death on it
Old 07-14-2005 | 02:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

[QUOTE=CARNUTMAMA,Jul 14 2005, 01:31 PM] ...the last couple of years she has stopped driving at night.
Old 07-14-2005 | 02:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CARNUTMAMA,Jul 14 2005, 04:31 PM
PS Do you act as your grandparent's driver?
no, unfort for me, they all never lived near me and they all died many years ago.

there are other ways of getting around.....probably cheaper to just pay a taxi than car insuranace, depreciation, etc........ PLUS THE OVERALL SAFETY OF EVERYONE AROUND THEM doesn't have a price!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2005 | 02:34 PM
Former Moderator

Cataract surgery is not limited to senior citizens my wife had hers in February and March of 2000 she was 47, and had them for quite a while already. She now has plastic lenses that are her presciption and she sees 20/15, although she does still need reading glasses.

My mother in-law is 75 and has no trouble driving, although the expressway makes her nervous, mainly because it seems like everyone around here drives about 15 over the 70mph limit. I know that I do and so does my wife.
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:17 PM

Hi S2020, My mom did have cateract surgery last year, but she still doesn't like to be out alone at night.
Old 07-15-2005 | 05:21 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old people should be allowed to drive. However only if they pass a day/night skills driving test. If they can't go at least the speed limit, they fail. If they make a right turn when you told them left, they fail. This test should be given to all those over a certain age, 70 for example. And make it so that if they fail just once, revoke their license for life.
Old 07-15-2005 | 05:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

What does it take for old people to stop driving? A sudden stop while driving, of course, facilitated by the nose of their car buried two feet into the rear of the car in front of them...
Old 07-15-2005 | 07:57 AM

I think they should be allowed to "keep on truckin" as long as possible. They drive real slow, so no real threat. They are no worse than most foreigners trying to drive here.

Quick Reply: What does it take for old people to stop driving?