Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

What do you think about CART?

Old 12-26-2001 | 02:41 PM

Default What do you think about CART?

I'm doing some research here. Since most S2000 owners are race fans, what do you think of CART (Championship Auto Racing Teams - a.k.a. "Indycar").

What do you think of the series, the drivers, cars, teams, engines, etc.?

Do you find the series exciting, boring, something else?

Do you like the road courses, street circuits or ovals best?

What other forms of racing do you like (F1, Nascar, IRL, NHRA, ALMS, SCCA, etc.)?

Are any of these forms of racing better or worse than CART?

What do you think about CART's new President Chris Pook?

Thanks for your help.
Warren
Old 12-26-2001 | 02:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

CART has been great racing, cars, and drivers for many years. Recent boneheaded, arrogant moves, such a switch to normally aspirated engines in 2003, may well spell its demise, a real tragedy. I've met Chris Pook and watched the Long Beach GP grow and flourish over the years. Maybe he can save CART.
Old 12-26-2001 | 08:11 PM

I'm a huge fan of CART and next year a race will be held in Montreal!
F1 is also good but not exciting as CART, since it always seems 2 be Michael
Schumacher who wins. The change of engines (turbo 2 naturally aspirated) in 2003 was risky and I don't think it'll pay off. I guess CART is my favorite racing championship but its future is unsure. Hats off 2 Pat Carpentier an Tag!
Old 12-27-2001 | 06:48 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I thought F1 had some sort of rule about not having an F1 race in the same city as a CART race?
Old 12-27-2001 | 07:47 AM

CART has had some of the best racing in recent years. However, their management has made some really boneheaded deciscions. I like the fact that they run on a variety of tracks (street, road, ovals), as it really takes a lot of skill to be able to turn competitive times on all of those. Although street courses are not my favorite (really difficult to pass), they probably require the most skill from a driver (lots of braking & shifting, different track surfaces, etc). I love to watch any kind of open wheel racing on a road course - especially 900HP cars. And, of course the speed on ovals is incredible.

I don't really watch the IRL - all ovals and a bunch of 2nd rate drivers (however, the driver situation is changing now that DeFarren and Casro-Neves are defecting from CART). I also can't stand Tony George - what an arrogant SOB he is. I do watch SCCA when I can, and also LeMans, ALMS and the German Touring Cars. I'm also an F1 fan, but their races have been pretty boring lately. Very few of the other racing series have the excitement of CART. Chris Pook has his work cut out for him. As recently as 2-3 years ago, CART had 4 chassis manufacturers (Penske, Swift, Reynard & Lola), 4 engine manufacturers (Honda, Ford, Toyota, and Mercedes), 2 tire manufacturers (Goodyear and Firestone). They have really alienated the participants in the series. What a tragedy.
Old 12-27-2001 | 08:09 AM

I would be a die-hard F-1 fan. I have heard all the critisicm and I just let it go. No it is not a race of follow the leader. Yes there is passing. Yes Ferrari wins a lot thanks to Michael S, (it is a race after all and the best teams usually do win).

I have been a very strong CART fan for a long time. I enjoy the variety of "tracks" they run at and think the competition makes for a great spectator sport. However, as mentioned already the management is handled by a bunch of twits. They seem to be doing a great job of destroying the fan base and making the manufactures and sponsors run in the opposite direction. I just don't know if C. Pook can save the mess he is walking into. Sometimes when you're in a downward spiral you just can't pull it out. Crash!

I read in AutoWeek a week a go the newest problem is the tracks are causing problems because they suspect CART will be such a poor draw they will loose money and need financial agreements altered so they don't get shoved into the red because CART can't draw the fans.

CART's demise is a sad, sad situation. I for one am glad Honda is packing their bags! I would much rather see the money spent in F-1!
Old 12-27-2001 | 02:40 PM

I've been to one CART race, and watched it for many many years, but honestly, I really can't stand it. After the CART / IndyCar split years ago with the Indy 500 and US 500, it went downhill from there - at least for me.

I dont care for the officials and hope they pay back to the fans this year for their last minute cancellation at Texas Motor Speedway in Ft. Worth, TX. I'm sure they will come back to Houston for their race there, but as for Ft. Worth, I don't think they are welcome anymore.
Old 12-27-2001 | 04:46 PM

I really can't get into the Oval racing idea.... seems pretty boring to me.... though I have to admit that the regulations in F1 have made that much less intersting with little overtaking in the last few seasons...
Old 12-27-2001 | 06:26 PM

I've always liked the CART formula but I believe it is taking it's last breath as we speak.
Old 12-27-2001 | 08:59 PM

Originally posted by tokyo_james
I really can't get into the Oval racing idea.... seems pretty boring to me.... though I have to admit that the regulations in F1 have made that much less intersting with little overtaking in the last few seasons...

I must say, I completely agree.
A truly exciting F1 race is hard to find these days.

Quick Reply: What do you think about CART?