Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Weirdest Speed Trap...

Old 06-27-2007 | 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by nocal,Jun 27 2007, 07:18 PM
""The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)"
The question wasn't whether civil remedial fees - fines - are designed to generate revenue. That's clear. The question was whether speed limits are designed to raise revenue. That's less clear.

The phrase "civil remedial fees" is somewhat humorous. "Remedial" means "having to do with a remedy, a cure". It sounds as if these fees aren't curing anything; hence, they're not remedial.
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:22 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by CalBear,Jun 27 2007, 11:14 PM
You should have waved when you passed him

Now a little OT- for those who may not know, there was a blackout today in NYC for about 2 hours. I live on a pretty busy street so it took no time for the traffic to go into grid-lock mode (traffic signals not working). About 30 mins into it, lots of cops showed up to direct traffic in your normal cruisers, SUVs and yellow cabs. Yes, yellow cabs!! I was watching from my window 16 floors up and the only difference I saw where the flashing lights installed somewhere in the tail-lights. I usually flip the bird to the cabbies but I may have to think twice from now on...
Thats easy. Cabs with a 5 digit plate are cops, simple as that.
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Jun 27 2007, 06:19 PM
Take VA for instance, the speed limit on the interstate drops at the state line, radar detectors become illegal, and the cops start hiding.
You say that the speed limit drops at the state line.

Is the lower speed limit posted?

Are the signs visible sufficiently far away that someone driving the (other state's) speed limit as they approach the Virginia border has time to slow (safely) to Virginia's speed limit?

If so, then how is it a "speed trap"? You know the speed limit, and you have time to comply. Seems pretty simple. If you fail to slow down, how is that anyone's fault but yours?

[QUOTE=Wildncrazy,Jun 27 2007, 06:19 PM]Plano Texas routinely takes a short section of road and lowers the speed limit 5-10 mph and then patrols the fool out of it.
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by gotrpms,Jun 27 2007, 08:19 PM
Once on i 45 going from Houston to Dallas i was following a Cobra . . .
I thought that you meant a real - i.e., 427 CSX - Cobra . . .

Mustang got pulled over.
. . . not some Mustang wannabe.

Sigh.
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=magician,Jun 27 2007, 10:25 PM] You say that the speed limit drops at the state line.

Is the lower speed limit posted?

If so, then how is it a "speed trap"?
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:13 AM

Case #2:
In Houston, freeways are lifted near downtown, so exit ramps slope downwards before they merge into feeder roads.

On one ramp, cops have a habit of hiding underneath the freeway, clocking those ON the exit ramp just exiting the freeway, which have the speed limit of the access road. You say this is not a trap?

Related:
Furthermore, they stop these speeders and tack on tickets for having a license plate frame (such as alumni plates or those from car dealerships). Records show one officer has issued 17 such tickets at a single location in a 2-hour window. He has issued up to 30 in a day, and accumulated 1200 license-plate-frame tickets this year to date.

Of course, he has been compensated 150,000$+ in overtime pay in the last 2 years for appearing at court for these cases.

And these citations are not supposed to be money motivated?
Old 06-28-2007 | 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by magician,Jun 27 2007, 05:36 PM
You honestly believe that speed limits are designed to provide a revenue stream, eh?

You honestly believe that a) everybody speeds, and b) because everybody speeds that makes it legitimate for you to speed, eh?

People who take responsibility for their own actions.

Speed, or don't speed, as you wish. But have the maturity to accept the consequences for the choices you make. Quit whining about what everyone else does.
<You honestly believe that speed limits are designed to provide a revenue stream, eh?>

Yes, I do. In fact, the Virginia state government, in it's latest effort to screw motorists, actually stated in the official legislation that the intended effect of the new traffic laws was "to raise revenue".

The only speed limits that make any sense are the 25mph limits in residential developments.

<You honestly believe that a) everybody speeds, and b) because everybody speeds that makes it legitimate for you to speed, eh?>

Yes, everybody 'speeds'. You're trying to tell me you've never done 26mph in a 25 zone, never done 46mph in a 45 zone, never done 56mph in a 55 zone? So yes, everybody speeds.
In a recent article in the Philadelphia Inquirer, a local journalist tried doing the speed limit on local highways for a few days. He never passed anyone, was passed by everyone, and felt his life was in danger. Yes, everybody 'speeds'.

<Speed, or don't speed, as you wish. But have the maturity to accept the consequences for the choices you make. Quit whining about what everyone else does.>

Who's whining? I'm saying that speed limits are designed to raise revenue. That's a fact, not a complaint.

If the govenment was really interested in slowing people down, cars would all be sold with speed limiters.

Cops wouldn't hide in the bushes at the side of the road, they would patrol the highways by driving at the speed limit in the middle lane with their lights on, just daring anyone to pass them.

Oops, wait, there's no money in that. You know how much money NJ takes in from traffic tickets every year? No? Well, neither do I, because it's such a staggering amount that they won't even release the figure.
I know they rake in $130mm from the additional DMV surcharges alone.

If you think all laws are always valid, let me ask you this:

In the mid 1800s, would you have turned over an escaped slave to Aetna for the $150 reward? That was the law, after all.
Old 06-28-2007 | 05:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by CalBear,Jun 27 2007, 08:14 PM
You should have waved when you passed him

Now a little OT- for those who may not know, there was a blackout today in NYC for about 2 hours. I live on a pretty busy street so it took no time for the traffic to go into grid-lock mode (traffic signals not working). About 30 mins into it, lots of cops showed up to direct traffic in your normal cruisers, SUVs and yellow cabs. Yes, yellow cabs!! I was watching from my window 16 floors up and the only difference I saw where the flashing lights installed somewhere in the tail-lights. I usually flip the bird to the cabbies but I may have to think twice from now on...
I probably should have. It could have went really bad after that though... lol. Probably pull me over and hit me for a whole bunch of stupid sh*t... lol.

Yes... I just found this out a few weeks ago actually because someone told me about it. First I was like... no way... they can't do that and here you are now stating the same exact thing. You guys have me convinced now.

Andre
Old 06-28-2007 | 05:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Once on i 45 going from Houston to Dallas i was following a Cobra kinda speedily and we came up upon a fully blacked out ss Camaro with a louder than normal exhaust tone. I kinda slowed down while the mustang attempted to race the camaro. The revved at each other and kinda antagonized each other for a mile or so, while i stayed behind a bit. After the third honk both cars go, mustang was faster, camaros lights start flashing. Mustang got pulled over. Thats the sneakiest cop that i have ever seen.
There has to be some law against that. That's just plain instagation of the cop towards the guy in the Mustang.

Now... what if during this little "trick" that the cop was doing, the guy in the mustang lost control and crashed?!?!? I wonder what would happen then.

Andre
Old 06-28-2007 | 07:34 AM
Banned

Magician, im curious, are you a cop ftw?

I have family in law enforcement, and its blatently obvious that the mentality that the govt is teaching to the officers is that people who speed are the enemy, they do it because they wish to rebel and have no respect for law and must be shot down. I remember once a cop was someoen you had a pleasureable experience to encounter. Now it seems their reputation has been eroded by piss ant mentality to persecute minor driving infarctions with extreme predjuice.

When is a cop a dick? Say youre the only car on the interstate where a speed limit is 70 and he tickets you for doing 76.

When am I the dick? When im doing 70 through a 35 school zone.

There is a difference, cops do have the right to let you off, and most people will be more cautious when stopped and warned, and have more respect for law enforcement, in contrast with faced with some dick with a chip on his shoulder, cops like this give the good ones a bad name.

When im pulled over, and I am wrong, I confess and tell the officer i deserve whatever he wants to do with me. But many of times I have been pulled over with a bullshit reason just so he can try out his word game routine he learned in the academy. Never works and never will, and I have won everytiem against this in court.

FTW 0 citations ever found guilty.

Quick Reply: Weirdest Speed Trap...