Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Weirdest Speed Trap...

Old 06-27-2007 | 03:32 PM
Member (Premium)

Alright guys... everyone has stated their part... just keep it at that.

Andre
Old 06-27-2007 | 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Jun 27 2007, 03:32 PM
Alright guys... everyone has stated their part... just keep it at that.
Rats.

Just when it was getting interesting.

Sigh.

Old 06-27-2007 | 05:56 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by magician,Jun 27 2007, 03:59 PM
Rats.

Just when it was getting interesting.

Sigh.

LOL... I know, but I don't want you guys fighting over this you know. Keep it clean... keepin it clean...

Andre
Old 06-27-2007 | 06:01 PM
15 Year Member

Got an undercover Jeep Liberty here outside of Baltimore.
Old 06-27-2007 | 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by magician,Jun 27 2007, 04:36 PM
You honestly believe that speed limits are designed to provide a revenue stream, eh?
[SIZE=14]YES!!

[SIZE=14]Take VA for instance, the speed limit on the interstate drops at the state line, radar detectors become illegal, and the cops start hiding.

You see speed traps all over the streets in all states and most cities. Plano Texas routinely takes a short section of road and lowers the speed limit 5-10 mph and then patrols the fool out of it. Usually the section with the reduced speed limit is the straight section w/no side streets and the higher speed limit is in the area with lots of side streets. In other words the area you are most likely to kick your speed up a few mph.

They have a huge percentage of their city operating budget comes from traffic violations.

Red light cameras are another example of a driver's tax.
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by magician,Jun 27 2007, 02:36 PM
You honestly believe that speed limits are designed to provide a revenue stream, eh?
""The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)"

Not to cross post, but I feel its appropriate.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:30 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by magician,Jun 27 2007, 02:36 PM
You honestly believe that a) everybody speeds, and b) because everybody speeds that makes it legitimate for you to speed, eh?
I already know for a FACT that this is not true because I always get stuck behind all the people that dont.
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by magician,Jun 27 2007, 08:41 AM
Stupid comment.

I was only speeding; you should be catching the reckless drivers.

I was only driving recklessly; you should be catching the burglars.

I was only committing burglary; you should be catching the bank robbers.

I was only robbing a bank; you should be catching the muggers.

I was only mugging someone; you should be catching the rapists.

I was only committing rape; you should be catching the murderers.

I only murdered one person; you should be catching the terrorists.
Since everything is such a slippery slope, and whether or no its illegal is the only way to measure it being "wrong"... do we just execute all the people who speed?

There is gray area... and there are measures of "wrong" beyond whats legal. If eating a plum was illegal and killing the elderly was not, I don't think that changes what is right or wrong.

BTW, if you think speed limits are set where they currently are because it best controls accidents and injuries, you're a fool. I wrote an entire college term paper about the effects of raising and lowering the speed limit, comparing US limits to those in Europe, and the methods with which limits are established. Because I don't feel like going through my closet to find all 20 pages of the sucker, I'll sum it up- we could pretty much raise EVERY limit on EVERY road in this country not impacted by school zones or twisty roads- it would help accident rates.
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:14 PM

You should have waved when you passed him

Now a little OT- for those who may not know, there was a blackout today in NYC for about 2 hours. I live on a pretty busy street so it took no time for the traffic to go into grid-lock mode (traffic signals not working). About 30 mins into it, lots of cops showed up to direct traffic in your normal cruisers, SUVs and yellow cabs. Yes, yellow cabs!! I was watching from my window 16 floors up and the only difference I saw where the flashing lights installed somewhere in the tail-lights. I usually flip the bird to the cabbies but I may have to think twice from now on...
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:19 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Once on i 45 going from Houston to Dallas i was following a Cobra kinda speedily and we came up upon a fully blacked out ss Camaro with a louder than normal exhaust tone. I kinda slowed down while the mustang attempted to race the camaro. The revved at each other and kinda antagonized each other for a mile or so, while i stayed behind a bit. After the third honk both cars go, mustang was faster, camaros lights start flashing. Mustang got pulled over. Thats the sneakiest cop that i have ever seen.

Quick Reply: Weirdest Speed Trap...