Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

They're Marching Against God - Your .02

Old 07-18-2002, 08:35 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ltweintz
[B]

When's the last time you've used psychedelics?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Gary...intelligence is not a singularly decisive factor, because there are highly intelligent people on both sides. I however, do know some people that I think are not free-thinkers; they can only follow directions, or utilize knowledge that they have. As a result, if these people were presented Christianity as being the truth, they would accept. If they were told atheism was correct, they would just accept it too.

The peoples' viewpoints that I truly respect are those who make it clear to me that they have thought about the situation thoroughly, and have reached their conclusions intelligently. Regardless of what those people believe, I can respect their intelligence in making their decision.

Speedy, I would just like to add one more thing. Sure, some of us are young (I'm 20), but atheism is not a fad among youthful people. If that were the case, there wouldn't be any older athiests.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay Li
[B]Gary, I believe Marx's viewpoint is a valid one.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fastfreddie
[B]

Well, for one, how can it be possible for the "immaculate conception"?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by woodyandy
[B]That said, it's all mind humping babble to lessen the anxiety caused by the realization of one's own mortality.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonBoy
[B]

Nice thought about the "Reed Sea", but the translation is not "Reed Sea" when you go back to the original Hebrew (to my understanding).
Old 07-18-2002, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TrojanHorse
[B]

Well said.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Fastfreddie

Do you have any idea how many times the bible has been interpretedd?
Tch Tch Tch,,, can't have that
Yes I do. In it's present form we have 1500 year old scrolls from the book of Isaiah that were copies of the original text - not "interpretations." From the New Testament, we have over 5000 pieces of scrolls and manuscripts, some that are within 3 copies (no interpretations) of the original text. There is no document that has withstood the textual criticism of the Bible. This is to say that the "stories" we have are accurate renditions of the originals to at least 97%. An example: no one questions Homers "Iliad". The document is respected as an accurate presentation of the original. That document is more than 5 times removed from any sources than the Bible. We have less than 3 fragments of documents that even refer to it.

However, it is true that one can question the story themselves. That is a valid issue. Textual criticism, at this point, is moot.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonBoy
[B]

Well, I'm not Gary or Magician but I'll chime in anyways.

Old 07-18-2002, 09:00 AM

Jon, but then what of all the people that are sick, pray (or get prayed for), and die? You only hear of the exceptional cases, not the regular situations. If anything, this would imply that god plays favorites among humans.

Please go to the last post on the first page of this and read my comments...I'm very curious to have someone respond to them!

Quick Reply: They're Marching Against God - Your .02