Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

They're Marching Against God - Your .02

Old 07-19-2002, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by woodyandy
[B]

Religion is the cancer that will destroy the organism.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by woodyandy

Religion is the cancer that will destroy the organism. Having imaginary friends past the age of five is arrested development. This is reality, not cruelty. The Easter Bunny thing was sarcastic maybe, but not cruel. An attention getter. Cruel is what religions do to nonbelievers. They smite them in the name of their God.

I don't think I've done this before, but I can't resist: SMITE, SMITE, DOUBLE SMITE. Sorry Woody!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:08 PM

...and I thought I understood this thread...

- Warren
Old 07-19-2002, 03:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
[B]

you are the same person who was just sure the earth rotated around the sun...etc.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

erm!
hahah..dumbass edit...see everyone makes mistakes... hahaha
Old 07-19-2002, 03:28 PM

It's all good!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:40 PM

Good God this thread is out of control

The whole picture:

We as humans are the only species on this planet (as far as we know) that is able to foresee that some day we will die, each and every one of us. To early man, this was a highly disagreeable piece of information. In fact, living with the knowledge that death is inevitable is what gave root to belief in a supreme being, who would usher us into the next world upon our departure from this one.

Upon study of the various religions in the world, one learns that different belief systems come and go, often with the rise and fall of different cultures. The Romans had their own set of gods, as did the Greeks. Christianity was simply a fad that caught on and lasted, it did so for various reasons, the one God concept was simple to grasp and it included woman as equals.

Bottom line is that religion is the opiate of the masses. It makes people "feel good" to think that there is a higher being in control. People taught this from an early age are often kept in line by fear (Catholicism) and therefore don't question the concept. It does take some intelligence and "enlightenment" to question dogma that has been ingrained in us from early childhood, but question it we must.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:52 PM

Seriously though s2kpdx01, you didn't really choose the best examples in your original post? The coelacanth, and the round earth are mans own 'discoveries'. Hey.... we've stood on the moon and looked back at the Earth... we *know* it's a ball... we know we're not gonna drop off the edge now if we go too far.

We're a far more enlightened and sophisticated people these days don't you think.? Do you not think it inevitable that as our knowledge of the universe and the understanding of creation loses much of it's mystery, we are bound to question the concept of some all powerful being creating the whole thing in 6 days and resting on the seventh. Whilst opinions may vary I think there are far more scientific and logical explanations on offer these days.

The tendency we are seeing for more people to move away from the ideas and beliefs of less enlightened times is inevitable, more so in societies where people are free to think and express their views without fear of repression.

Personally I think it's great that I can now nip up to Halfords and get bits for my S on a Sunday.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]Seriously though s2kpdx01, you didn't really choose the best examples in your original post? The coelacanth, and the round earth are mans own 'discoveries'. Hey.... we've stood on the moon and looked back at the Earth... we *know* it's a ball... we know we're not gonna drop off the edge now if we go too far.

We're a far more enlightened and sophisticated people these days don't you think.? Do you not think it inevitable that as our knowledge of the universe and the understanding of creation loses much of it's mystery, we are bound to question the concept of some all powerful being creating the whole thing in 6 days and resting on the seventh. Whilst opinions may vary I think
Old 07-19-2002, 04:36 PM

Quantum mechanics has opened the world to many amazing discoveries and inventions, but for every one thing it solved it added two more questions!!
Oh REALLY?

The big bang has been changed 1000's of times
Oh REALLY?

The newest theory is in science
Oh REALLY?

Let me guess -- you've been reading novels by Hawking again, haven't you?

- Warren

Quick Reply: They're Marching Against God - Your .02