Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

They're Marching Against God - Your .02

Old 07-19-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, you believe that god has a plan, and he knows what will happen. If that is the case, are you saying that he planned on restarting? If he did, it seems pretty pointless to me. If not, it seems to me as if he's admitting he made a mistake on the first batch of humans.

If he gave them free choice, and their use of this free choice lead to his dissatisfaction, it seems like you could chalk up that mistake to him. What makes even less sense is that he supposedly planned this...who would plan for dissatisfaction?
Old 07-19-2002, 11:44 AM

Trying desparately to get from where we are back to the point of this thread, I wonder if the marchers are going to march in straight lines, whatever those are.

Old 07-19-2002, 11:46 AM

magician,

Lobachevski, Reimann, and Bolyai all denied that axiom amd created different geometries.
I didn't say anything about Euclid's fifth postulate being an axiom, so please don't wave it in my face. All of the non-Euclidean geometries (the hyperbolic ones, anyway) are self-consistent, but they're all based on the first four postulates of Euclid, and accept them as axioms. So pick your favorite postulate, and insert it where you'd like.

Perhaps a better statement than "to deny these axioms is to deny rational thought" would be "to deny ALL axioms is to deny rational thought." Or maybe, "to deny the concept of axioms is to deny rational thought." Thanks for the point.

- Warren
Old 07-19-2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by chroot
Perhaps a better statement than "to deny these axioms is to deny rational thought" would be "to deny ALL axioms is to deny rational thought."
That sounds reasonable.

Thanks for the point.
My pleasure.

(Thanks for not complaining that I mistyped "and"!)
Old 07-19-2002, 11:55 AM

I didn't say anything about Euclid's fifth postulate being an axiom, so please don't wave it in my face.
www.m-w.com, Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, defines "axiom" and "postulate" as synonyms, so you didn't have to say anything.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonBoy
[B]The original creation was perfect.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:56 AM

(Thanks for not complaining that I mistyped "and"!)
Or that that exclamation point belongs inside the quote?

By the way, I don't think I overgeneralized when I made the statement that you didn't understand the uncertainty relations. You had a tough time with JonasM's question on hidden variables, a discussion of which is in every introductory quantum text. How much do you REALLY know about quantum mechanics?

Oh, and yes, hearsay can be admitted as evidence, pursuant to the many conditions of evidenciary material. My broad generalization that hearsay is not permitted in courtrooms is by and large correct, though -- it would have taken a lot more time to include all the caveats, and I don't think the conversation would have benefitted.

- Warren
Old 07-19-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chroot
[B]

Look, it's the Token Tirade Against Science!
Old 07-19-2002, 11:58 AM

www.m-w.com, Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, defines "axiom" and "postulate" as synonyms, so you didn't have to say anything.
Curses!

Well, I guess that means "Euclid's Fifth Postulate" is really "Euclid's Fifth Lemma" or "Euclid's Fifth Theorem." Too bad everyone still calls it a postulate.

- Warren
Old 07-19-2002, 12:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ltweintz
[B]If they had been perfect, then they never could have become imperfect.

Quick Reply: They're Marching Against God - Your .02