Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

They're Marching Against God - Your .02

Old 07-17-2002, 05:28 AM
BMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It kind of reminds me of the discussion we had in history during my sophmore year in high school. I had a GREAT teacher, we were discussing what would you do if the KKK was holding a rally infront of our school all day. A majority of the class became upset and was about ready to kill someone, When I was asked what I would do, I simply said "Nothing"
I figure that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and belief system, just as long as it is not violent. Let them march, if this is what they really believe in then more power to them.
And can someone please give me a deffinition of the term "atheists"

Jerry
Old 07-17-2002, 06:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

"Atheist" is defined as, to my knowledge, someone that does not believe in a higher power than us, or in a deity.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:03 AM
BMF

Alright here is my argument for that...
In you saying that you do not belive in a higher power, or that you believe that he does not exist... doesnt you saying "I dont believe in you" actually acknowledge that there "is" a higher power. Your disbeliefe in him make him exist?

Jerry
Old 07-17-2002, 07:49 AM

Not at all...if someone tells me a Honda with 500 hp NA is being sold for 10 bucks, and I'm in disbelief of it, it does not it mean exists.

In this sense, disbelief in a deity is just the viewpoint that one does not exist.

I'm glad there are people marching for this cause. When other groups felt that they were not being respected, they marched for their causes. This is no different.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:52 AM
BMF

Good point
Old 07-17-2002, 08:22 AM

Well, I've always wondered what Jesus, Buddha, Lao-tze, and Mohammed would say to each other?

(correct me if I'm wrong) Muslim heaven is filled with virgins, right? So does that mean once you pop their, ahem, cherries they get thrown out?

Buddhists talk about the "Western Extremely Happy Heaven", but the extremely happy part has always puzzled me: is that a theme park? Do we get to drive Ferraris or chat on the net?

Lao-tze: not sure about the Taoism's heaven, I've read some of his readings but I'm not so sure about their heaven and demigods.

Jesus: THE heaven to be in? What's he got that others don't?

Old 07-17-2002, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BDMonk
[B]2) As someone who considers himself agnostic, I kinda thought that meant I wasn't sure about the whole "God and religion" deal and was reserving decision until I received more facts to make up my own mind.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonBoy
[B]I think the "us" he was referring to meant the overall population of the USA, not the S2KI crowd.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by JonBoy
"Atheist" is defined as, to my knowledge, someone that does not believe in a higher power than us, or in a deity.
From Latin I believe: "A" against, "THEOS" God/gods.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally posted by mingster
Well, I've always wondered what Jesus, Buddha, Lao-tze, and Mohammed would say to each other?

(correct me if I'm wrong) Muslim heaven is filled with virgins, right? So does that mean once you pop their, ahem, cherries they get thrown out?

Buddhists talk about the "Western Extremely Happy Heaven", but the extremely happy part has always puzzled me: is that a theme park? Do we get to drive Ferraris or chat on the net?

Lao-tze: not sure about the Taoism's heaven, I've read some of his readings but I'm not so sure about their heaven and demigods.

Jesus: THE heaven to be in? What's he got that others don't?

"Jesus' heaven" has a river of life, a city with streets of pure gold, that is roughly 1500 miles wide by 1500 miles long by 1500 miles high (going by the literal measurements in the book Revelation - or so I've been told), a perfect cube. It has gates each made of a single pearl, and there is never night (nor need of sleep). In His heaven, you are a son/daughter of His, not just a lucky person that made it there - you aren't just a lucky guy, you are THE guy. Royalty. A part of God. Having power over all things (except each other, of course). Time no longer exists. The good times just go on and on for eternity. No "cherry popping" but then again, you won't know what that is up there so you won't miss it. You also get a perfect, glorified body.

Quick Reply: They're Marching Against God - Your .02