Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Spirited Driving vs. Reckless?

Old 09-07-2001, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spirited Driving vs. Reckless?

I am just curious as to where y'all draw the line as to what is spirited driving, and when does it become reckless?

My definition of Spirited driving has always been fast driving in areas that are moderately safe and do not have any impact on others around me. But at what point does this become "reckless"? Passing slow cars that refuse to pull over? On a double yellow? On a blind curve?

My definition of Reckless has always been something that can adversely affect others on the road. Speed contests on the road surely qualify as reckless...but again, does my speeding down the fast lane have this affect as well?

Just wanted to start a discussion because I am truly curious what everyone else feels about this.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:41 AM

I try not to break the speed limit by too much. Escpecially is there are much slower cars on the road, because this makes me stand out like a sore thumb. HOwever, on wide open roads where others are driving fast, your chances of getting busted are not as great. However, I don't pass on doubel yellows, pass on shoulders, cut people off, or anything totally crazy like that.

Every situation is different, but experience and discretion will dictate when too much is too much. True that speeding is against the law to begin with. But doing 75 in a 65, 1AM on a Sunday morning on a 6 lane freeway with no cars on the road is obviously safer than the same situation but a 5PM in rush hour traffic, weaving and cutting off other cars.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:12 AM

I admit I tend to drive a little fast but I'm also more cautious (alerted to possible situations) than anyone I know.....

Never-never-never speed through a neighborhood or anywhere pedestrians may be present. If you were to run over a child or granny your life, and obviously theirs, would never be the same. If you speed around shopping centers or residential areas you deserve to have your license taken.... forever!

If you street race it should look like a deserted waste land except for you and the other car. No driveways and no intersections where some innocent person could pull out.

Never assume anything.

If your 20-years old or younger and you think you know how to drive.... you don't. Maturity is a big part of responsible driving.

If you speed you relinquish your right-of-way.

Always be courteous to others. Being nice will get you much more in life. This includes driving.

Take an advanced (or performance) driving course. That way you may better realize limits and defenses under extreme situations.

People can not see you when you're going 80-mph. Just like riding a motorcycle.... your invisible to others.

If you drink.... park it! It's not worth it.

Best bet is don't speed!
Old 09-07-2001, 11:27 AM

I could go on for hours about how the quality of US roads and the performance capabilities of modern automobiles (especially one like ours) justify higher speed limits than we have...but I won't go there. I also agree that experience has a lot to do with being a "safe" driver, but I think Americans are just plain poorly trained drivers. Very few of us have ever gotten true drivers training and been taught how to identify and avoid dangerous situations. I got the opportunity to take the German drivers course (while stationed there in the Army) after I had my (US) license for 7 years or so. It gave me a completely different view of things.

Oh, about the origional question... All any of us can do is to use our best judgement and hope that our experience guides us toward good decisions.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:09 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

I think the big differentiator between the two is the amount of traffic (both cars and "un-cars" such as pedestrians and animals). If there's a lot of traffic, going fast IS reckless. Most drivers are so completely unaware of what's going on around them, that a small sports car darting in and out of traffic is very likely to go unnoticed. Speeding around people? STUPID! You bought a cool car, let people see you in it, driving sanely. I know several people who have been pulled over as a result of a pedestrian/driver calling them in.

However, when the road is clear, "reckless" driving only really endangers you, so go for it.

My big things for safe driving are being alert, focusing on driving (no eating, drinking, cellphoning, reading, singing, doing makeup, etc), and observing what all cars around you are doing, not just the one in front of you.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, reckless has mostly to do with how much traffic is around you and, most important, your sight lines. You have to be able to see and avoid trouble. So going too fast in front of blind driveways to stop suddenly is reckless (to me). Same deal on mountain roads where you can't see around turns, driving at say over 30 MPH. I do this from time to time but I know it is a risk thing (especially on my motorcycle).
Old 09-07-2001, 03:54 PM

I define "Spirited Driving" as cruising at a satisfactory speed in accordance with the surrounding traffic. "Reckless Driving" on the other hand is classed as passing irritating cars who block fast lanes or cutting around in traffic. One more to add "High Attentive Driving" is when I drive at high speeds either on a long unlimited highway or through winding twisting roads in isolated national parks.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:21 PM

I agree with most everybody. I do tend to race a little on the streets (isn't that part of the fun?), but, overall, I drive with quite a bit of sensibility and defensiveness (at least I try). It's great to speed when nobody else is around, but it's not worth it to endanger other people and/or unsuspecting animals.
Old 09-08-2001, 04:15 AM

While its very tempting to rise to the challenge often issued by other drivers, what does it prove? Take it to the track or autocross. Due to the distractions encountered on the road, defensive driving is an absolute necessity.

Don't eat, talk on the phone, read, put on makeup, fiddle in your CD case or whatever, just drive. Yes, I'm a hypocrite; I've been guilty of all the above (except the makeup thing; I always put mine on at home!).

Above all else, don't drive drunk or sleepy. My best childhood friend in the world lost his life early one morning 30 years ago on a lonely two lane blacktop when he fell asleep at the wheel, smashing head-on into another car, killing himself and the other driver.
Old 09-08-2001, 07:17 PM
Former Moderator

To me reckless driving is when I'm on the verge of " out of control " If I'm aware of my suroundings, within braking distance of any potential problem, Then I would consider it spirited and nothing more.

Quick Reply: Spirited Driving vs. Reckless?