Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Speeding tickets in California

Old 12-15-2000 | 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I'm in NY, my daughter, who goes to school in California, got a speeding ticket crossing the Mohave (Riverside maybe?).No radar and the officer estimated her speed at 100. My questions:What's the fine like, any other possibilities, insurance increase? Driver training course to take the offense off your license?

Unfortunately she's not going back to California until next September so I'm in a bind as to how this could be handled. Plea down possible? Lawyer needed? She is 20 and has never been ticketed before. Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2000 | 02:55 PM

You can contact the court the ticket is assigned to to see if they allow for online traffic school. yes, crazy as that sounds, some counties in CA allow this. You'll end up paying the entire ticket AND the traffic school fee, but it beats the insureance hit over the next few yrs. One thing that may preclude her from doing so is if the ticket actually says "100mph" b/c then it may be a reckless driving charge, in which case she'll likely have to go to court to take c/o it. She may still be allowed to go to traffic school though, and its always in her bestinterest to ask to take traffic school, especially since its her first offence. (I cannot even remember my first offense, some 10 tickets and 15+ yrs ago?) Good luck.
Old 12-17-2000 | 12:23 AM

She should be allowed to go to traffic school. She is lucky that he didn't suspend her driver license because if you get caught going 25 mph over maximum speed is reckless driving.
Old 12-19-2000 | 11:19 PM

Many years back I got a ticket for going 90 mph on the freeway. The fine was over $300 and has probably gone up since then. Also the faster you go the more you pay.

I was not allowed to go to traffic school, and I doubt you daughter will be allowed to due to the excessive speed. Also, in order to request traffic school you will probably have to go to court.

Good luck!!
Old 12-20-2000 | 06:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is she licensed in NY? If so she will not receive any points on her NY record since it is out of state. So I would save the drivers education/point reduction class for another time. Check the ticket though, if it is reckless driving she will have to show up in court. I assume she is covered under a family policy? If so this will not effect the policy to much as you are still listed as the primary driver. By the way this is all information I have received through past experience in a similar situation.