Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Speeding ticket questions (long)

Old 06-20-2001 | 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket questions (long)

I need help from people that know the in's and outs of law enforcement and speeding tickets and whatnot. I'm 18 and today was the first time I've ever been pulled over. I was chasing a millenium yellow c-5 down the highway and we passed a state trooper going the other way. I wasn't really watching my speed but I was going 105 before I saw the trooper and I didn't stop accelerating until after I saw him so I know I was in the triple digits. There was heavy traffic in the left lane but the corvette and my yellow stook had the right lane all to ourself. So after we passed the trooper I managed to get next to the vette and tell them and they just laughed. Anyways, my turn came up and they kept going. So I'm sitting at my house and probably 5 minutes later (8 to 9 minutes after passing the trooper) Mr. party pooper pulls in my driveway and gave me a ticket. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I said no, then he said the cars in the left lane were going 58 and I was going 93. This is where all my questions are. How could he get my speed with all the cars in the left lane? I know I was going faster than that, could he just have seen me going very fast and made up a speed since I said I didn't know? He also said he got my plate, but I find that hard to believe with all the traffic and the fact that I was going so fast. License plates get really small really quick in mirrors. Maybe troopers get surgical implants that make reading plates easier? I've loved stooks ever since they first came out, and I've never seen a yellow one besides mine. Could the trooper have radioed in a yellow s2000? I'm convinced that mine might be the only yellow one in town so would that be enough for dispatch to give the trooper my address? When I was standing at his window his radio was reading off a yellow honda roadster registered to my dad and then our address. Now what is the law going to do to me? First time pulled over, first ticket. What should I expect? Thanks

One more thing, somewhere I thought I heard that if the police lose sight of you for so long they can't do whatever they were going to do to you. Is that right?
Thanks again for reading
Old 06-20-2001 | 02:44 PM

Get a lawyer
go to court
Old 06-20-2001 | 02:52 PM

Since it was 38 over I'm required to appear in court.
Old 06-20-2001 | 03:18 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

You might get out of this one - the office didn't actually pull you over. This happened to a friend (about 130 on his CBR900 in a 55) and he got off. Definately talk to a lawyer.
Old 06-20-2001 | 10:06 PM

I would imagine some citizen got your plate and phoned it in. Then it was just a matter of looking you up. It happens all the time. Get a good lawyer; I hope your old man doesn't kick your ass.
Old 06-20-2001 | 10:21 PM

It's not my dad that I'm afraid of, my mom is the one that is gonna scream sell the @&$*!^ car!!! I wonder if anyone would take time to phone in the California plates on the corvette???
Old 06-21-2001 | 06:06 PM

Check out...http://www.thekcrachannel.com/sh/automotiv...214-120206.html
Old 06-23-2001 | 11:07 AM

The trick I've read is to find out how he clocked your speed. At least you answered you didn't know how fast you were going. If he just estimated it then when you go to court you ask him to estimate the speed of, say, a falling pencil from a specific height (don't tell him the exact height). Becuase gravity is a constant (32ft/sec), you will be able to calculate the exact speed into MPH. I doubt the officer will get it even close. A boss of mine got off on this when my brother suggested it to her (she was a lawyer and apparently she really burnt the officer up in court).

Still.. this sounds pretty serious. Get a lawyer.