Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

speeding ticket question

Old 10-12-2007 | 09:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default speeding ticket question

i got a ticket, going 83 in the 65 but he wrote the ticket for 75 in a 65, so 10 over. i checked the states dmv website and it says 0-10 over gives you 1 demerit point and you must have 3 or more to be able to take driving school. im not worried about the point or paying the ticket but my question is,......what happens when or if i go to court,...? my friends say plead not guilty, other friends say plead guilty and they will drop the moving violation to a non moving violation in order to stop it from going to court again.?????? im confused. i am in need of getting rid of the ticket entirely if its possible as my job only allows for two moving violation in a year and well,.......i have an s2k so i like to drive it like its meant to be sometimes. just wanna keep as good record as possible ya know....
Old 10-13-2007 | 07:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to court and if the cop doesnt show, you have a good chance of winning automatically. (This is not the case in all courts)

Here in OR, you can take driving school for any speeding ticket, regardless of points. But it's up to the judge to allow you or not.

If you please Not Guilty, you will have to fight and prove yourself innocent. Do much for presumed innocence, right? If you lose, you pay the entire thing. If you plead Guilty, you can throw yourself on the mercy of the court (judge) and hope for a reduced sentence at their discression. If your driving record is pretty clean, you have a good chance that they will go easy on you.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2007 | 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd try and reschedule your court date.
if the cop does show on the court date, given your record, you could ask for a PJC "prayer for judgement continued" where you won't get any traffic or insurance points added depending on your jurisdiction.
typically the catch is if you caught for another violation in the next year, you'll get that speeding ticket tacked onto your new ticket.
Old 10-13-2007 | 01:23 PM

If the cop doesn't show up, it's totally up to the judge to dismiss the case, rule based on circumstantial evidence, or reschedule the case. It's not an automatic win, as most people seem to think.
Old 10-13-2007 | 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot also depends on what you said to the cop, cause most make OT to show to court. Cops like to play alot of word games to get you to admit you were infact speeding in the field and will write this on the ticket. If you were silent and respectful youre chances are good, but if not youre up against the sharks. In most cases you can elect driving school and have the points droped because they are more concerned with the revenue.

And say you did not admit guilt to the officer in the field, any traffic lawyer worth a pile of dung can easily get you off.
Old 10-14-2007 | 10:17 AM

anyone else with any suggestions?
Old 10-15-2007 | 06:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If the cop shows, I don't see how you could plead not guilty. After all, he wrote you up for going 10 over when in fact you were going 18 over. He could tell the judge that.. and your excuse or defense would hold much less weight.
Old 10-15-2007 | 07:28 AM

what is involved with getting a traffic lawyer??????
do they just go to court for me? thats what i have heard anyways.
Old 10-15-2007 | 07:35 AM

I've used the deferred adjudication here in Texas. You will still have to pay the ticket, but it does not go on your record. However, you will also have to take defensive driving courses and not get another violation for the next 6 months. Otherwise you will be stuck with both this violation as well as the new one and won't be allowed to used deferred adjudication for awhile.
Old 10-15-2007 | 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer,Oct 15 2007, 10:28 AM
what is involved with getting a traffic lawyer??????
do they just go to court for me? thats what i have heard anyways.
Yes they can go to court for you and lawyers know the loopholes just as well as the cops do, and the lawyer is trained and wont be played by the DA and the cops word games, infact, the lawyer usually throws it back in their face and gets you a "Not Guilty" adjucation! ticketclinic is the way to go!!

Quick Reply: speeding ticket question