Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Speeding ticket affect on insurance

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket affect on insurance

so i got a speeding ticket this past weekend. i just got off the highway, i was under the impression that the road i turned off on was 45mph. i cop stops me saying i was doing 50 in a 35. i argue a bit....all in all he write me a tickets for 40 in a 35 and says it won't affect your insurance and i dont get any points. is this true? this is my first ticket....i dont care, i'll pay it, but i'm most worried about it affecting my insurance costs.

thanks
Old 04-08-2008 | 07:25 AM

he wrote you a ticket for 40 in a 35? what a dumbass...you could probably just go to court and get that tossed.

depending on where you live and who your insurance is with, 1 ticket won't affect your rates. mine (nationwide) works something like...one ticket won't change anything, but if you get another one within 3 years they'll both count against you.
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just show up to the court date. he did cut you some slack already though
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:44 AM

yeah, thats the thing. he could have written it as 50 in a 35 but he didnt. he was actually a nice guy...then again, he could have let me go...what a dick! j/k. i'm not complaining and i dont plan to go to court. i'll just pay it. maybe i'll have to review my insurance policy (Progressive btw.) to see if it says anything.

not sure, but i think what the cop was getting at is that it is a very minor offense to get written up for just 5 mph over the limit, almost like a seatbelt or tint ticket. like you just have to pay but it doesnt get recorded as a real offense. i hope thats the case. that's all i'm asking if anyone knows for sure...?
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ticket shows up on your driving record. Depending on your insurance is whether or not your rates will go up. It will add points to your license and depending on whether or not your insurance checks it will determine if it goes up. It is the points that hurt you. Some insurance companies will let the first one by and not charge you extra, but you are gambling since it stays on your record for 3 years before the points come off. If you get another one then the insurance company will charge you for both. I would call the number and ask if you can go to driving school, or show up in court and request it. It will cost you a little extra but then the points don't go toward your license, thus the insurance company can never see it. They changed the law now where the police officer does not have to come to court anymore. Used to be that it would get thrown out if the officer did not show up. That is no longer the case.
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seat belt tickets do give points as well. Your insurance could go up as a result. No good!
Old 04-08-2008 | 10:04 AM

i recently got a ticked on backroads doing 108 in a 35 gotta love that handeling btu anyways 5 points and $600 later i am hoping my insurance company doesnt update the information any time soon......
Old 04-08-2008 | 10:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if your jurisdiction allows driving school on a first offence to remove the violation.
Old 04-08-2008 | 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Apr 8 2008, 12:48 PM
See if your jurisdiction allows driving school on a first offence to remove the violation.

many states allow it once a year or once a year per jurisdiction. usually it raises revenue for them and in return you get no points on your license, so its as if you never got the ticket.
Old 04-08-2008 | 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cant you just go to driving school and delete that point on your driving record?

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket affect on insurance