Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Speeding/ no insurance/ no licence/ curfew

Old 12-30-2004 | 09:16 AM

Angry Speeding/ no insurance/ no licence/ curfew

I was trying out my friends bimmer the other night.
Went 49 in a 30. Cop pulls me over. Its like 1am, I don't have any licence on me, I only actually have a permit and licence waiver, and my friends insurance card is expired, but he does actually have one.

So I got a speeding ticket, and no insurance ticket. The no insurance will get thrown out immediatly as my friend does actually have insurance. But I guess the cop let me off without a ticket for no licence and past curfew, Is there anyway for the judge to know I didnt have a licence on me at the time?

Would its be smart for me to try and get my licence right now, or should I just face the consequences with my permit. I'm guessing I will be suspended until I turn 18.

Can insurance know about violations you've commited before you even recieved your drivers licence? These tickets will be reported to my friends insurance, as i was in his car. I hope my rates dont explode when I finally do apply for my own insurance in the future.

In conclusion, how ed am I?
Old 12-30-2004 | 09:47 AM

And this happened in what state??
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:16 AM

illinois-- chicago
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:20 AM

I would at least try to get your license before the court date.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:30 AM

I know in NY you have 48 hrs to produce your liscense. But they can take your SS# to find out you actually have a liscense.

Also, and on a side note, we used to call the green temp liscense (the certificate they give you when your liscense is being sent) the "get out of jail free card" because no cop wants to give you a ticket witch would ultimately take away your liscense for a year. All my friends abused this, and all got away with speeding, but mostly 45 in a 30 or 42 in a 40, not quite 49 in a 30. Good luck I guess.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:40 AM

doesnt matter. what you did what just plain dumb.

you are so out of luck unless your parent have enough $$$$ to pay high premium insurance for you when actually get a license.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jisi,Dec 30 2004, 02:16 PM
illinois-- chicago
Sorry--don't know anything about Illinois. Regardless, I think the Court would have access to your DMV records and will (or should) know if you had a valid license on the date of the violation. Insurance checks your DMV record. Getting a license now would be like shutting the gate after the cow gets out---what's the purpose?

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jisi,Dec 30 2004, 01:16 PM
I was trying out my friends bimmer the other night.
Went 49 in a 30. Cop pulls me over. Its like 1am, I don't have any licence on me, I only actually have a permit and licence waiver, and my friends insurance card is expired, but he does actually have one.

So I got a speeding ticket, and no insurance ticket. The no insurance will get thrown out immediatly as my friend does actually have insurance. But I guess the cop let me off without a ticket for no licence and past curfew, Is there anyway for the judge to know I didnt have a licence on me at the time?

Would its be smart for me to try and get my licence right now, or should I just face the consequences with my permit. I'm guessing I will be suspended until I turn 18.

Can insurance know about violations you've commited before you even recieved your drivers licence? These tickets will be reported to my friends insurance, as i was in his car. I hope my rates dont explode when I finally do apply for my own insurance in the future.

In conclusion, how ed am I?
I got a ticket when I was 15, driving alone and I had a permit. Once, I was an idiot like you and made stupid mistakes. Nothing bad really happened, I paid the ticket and thats it------your insurance might go up, espescially if the car is in your name. My advice is to use common sense whenever possible and you might avoid these types of dilemmas.
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:56 PM

Dude your rates are going to be sky high.

Long story short - you're screwed.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:11 PM

well i was in my friends car, and he has full coverage insurance that covers me. Yeah I'm real dumb, This is my first major screw up so my paretns arent really complaining. I post about shutting the gates after the cows, i hope the system is way too disorganized to know if i did or did not have the licence at that point. I just hope I get lucky. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Speeding/ no insurance/ no licence/ curfew