Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

School Bus Reported me, now I have a citation?

Old 02-26-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School Bus Reported me, now I have a citation?

Hey, I was driving down a large 5 lane highway by my house one day, this is a very busy 45 mph road with lots of traffic usually. I guess a school bus stopped, i didnt see him because there was a huge freight truck right behind him so it blocked my vision while they were in the right lane and I was in the lane next to them going the same direction.

I accidentally went past this stopped school bus which supposedly was putting out its stop sign and it airhorned me and scared the crap out of me.

It was an accident, and I couldnt see the bus because it just looked like regular old traffic on this highway where sometimes one lane stops while the other keeps flowing normally.

Anyways, today I just received a citation in the mail that a vehicle registered to me was cited for failing to yield for a school bus. It says to provide the information to the best of my knowledge about who was driving my car at that time.

Then it says RCW 46.61.371
http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm...eaction=section
states that if you resonably believe that provision of this information is self incriminating you are not required to do so.

Now, is this one of those Plead the 5th type of deals where I just say no comment and they dont have hard evidence to give me a violation since no officer saw it and i never signed it and they cant really indentify it was me.

They can only give the ticket if they can prove without a doubt that it was myself driving, so not answering at all should basically give them nothing to work with. Or does this mean not providing information shows that I feel it self incriminates me which shows them im guilty?

Also, any opinions on if I just reply to them and say I've had like 7 or 8 of my friends drive my car in the past month so I dunno if one of them may have done it when I let them "borrow" my car. You think that could stand up to get me out of this.

Let me know what you guys think. thanks.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:15 PM

also this was a letter from the sherrif's dept, not an actual ticket/citation
Old 02-26-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they don't have proof they really dont have anything on you... what if the bus driver got the plate wrong? its so up in the air... i would just call and say that i wasn't you... and how you could go about clearing your name... also posting this on a public board is the last thing i would do
Old 02-26-2005, 03:08 PM

they are burdened with proof of guilt

you are innocent until proven guilty

dont rat yourself out plus it says you dont have to tell them it was you so just tell them your not telling or something
Old 02-26-2005, 04:28 PM

Well is it a citation or not? If it's not a citation why are you here asking this?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:16 PM

hey how did it take for you to get the letter after the incident?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Feb 26 2005, 10:16 PM
hey how did it take for you to get the letter after the incident?
Probably because they got his plate. Similar to the way red light camera traffic tickets work...
Old 02-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

plead the fifth - that is what it is there for. There is no moral victory by incriminating yourself over a minor infraction like this. Just don't do it again, or you could kill some kid.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YeLLoWs2knVA,Feb 27 2005, 03:22 AM
Probably because they got his plate. Similar to the way red light camera traffic tickets work...
I think he wants to know how long it took. So let's have it...how long?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:03 AM

tell them it wasn't u... they have no proof

Quick Reply: School Bus Reported me, now I have a citation?