Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

s2k vs zo6

Old 02-10-2001, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a supercharger on order, in your opinion should I keep s2k with s/c or dump it for a z06. Honest opinions needed, Btw my honda dealership is willing to warranty the s/c, therefore warranty issues do not apply.
Old 02-10-2001, 04:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy a Corvette if it was the last car on the face of the earth
Old 02-10-2001, 05:48 AM
pfb

Z06 Pro:

-> The Z06 is very quick and fast, both on a track and dragstrip, not to mention stoplight to stoplight.

-> I handles quite well

-> Limited production, Exclusivity

-> Out of the box race-car

Z06 Con:

-> You feel its extra mass compared to the S2K.

-> Not available in convertible (in Z06).

-> Gauges/Dash (IMHO) look antiquated

-> Somewhat gaudy interior

-> 15K more than a stock S2000
Old 02-10-2001, 06:09 AM

I have extensive experience with both cars (a bit more with the S2k)

Z06 will give you power/torque everywhere in the rev range. Z06 will give you more lateral grip. Less "connected" feel with the car compared to the S2k.

Z06 is a "mean machine". S2k is more of a "cute" car.

S2k will give you better turn-in and handling "feel". S2k you feel more "connected" with the car and the car feels more nimble. Even with the SC you prob will not get the raw power as you will get with the Z06...

Bottom line. For power go with Z06. For handling "feel" go with S2k.
Old 02-10-2001, 06:56 AM

Sh!t, take the easy way out and have one of each!
Old 02-10-2001, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are both nice in their own ways. It comes down to what you would be happier with. The vette is a lot more money, much bigger, not convertable and offers a completely different driving experience.

I can't honestly answer that question because it comes down to what YOU want. I'd rent a C5 for a while and see how you like it.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:10 AM

Hmm most seem to missing the important question!!! Which Honda dealer is willing to warrantee the S/C?????? Where is it!!!!
Old 02-10-2001, 10:32 AM

Just before I purchased my S2000, I test drove a new Porsche 911/996 (the only REAL Porsche not the Boxster of Boxster S wanna-be's) and a C5 Corvette.

The 911 is a beautifully made car. Extraordinary attention to detail, smooth, powerful performance and INCREDIBLE brakes. I test drove the 911 for about 1 1-2 hours and at one point the salesman said: "Go ahead--take your hands of the steering wheel and then brake as hard as you can." I gave him a look like I couldn't believe what he had just suggested but then I cranked it UP to about 90 mph, leveled off on speed, took my hands off the wheel, and then just STOMPED on the brakes. The 911 stopped RIGHT NOW! Very impressive.

Later that same day I drove to the local Chevy Dealership and took out a new C5 Corvette. Before I took out the 2000 hardtop, I looked over a 1999 convertible they had in the showroom with 12,000 miles on the odometer. The interior already had noticeable signs of wear. On a 1-year old car with only 12,000 miles?

Well, I hopped into the brand new C5 hardtop w/6-speed manual and immediately felt the GOBS of torque at my disposal. At one point while cruising down a sparsely travelled secondary road, the salesman said: "Go ahead--punch it!" Well, I did, and as I neared redline the motor started to PING! The salesman came up with the excuse that they must have had a bad tank of gas. Well, maybe.

Here's the overall impression I had of the 2 cars:

The Porsche 911 is a beautifully made car but it came off feeling too much like an appliance. Ironically, this is just what Japanese cars are often accused of. Everything worked too smoothly and perfectly without getting me as involved and thrilled with what was going on as it should have.

The Chevrolet Corvette gave me the impression of being "cheap" -- muscular yes, but crude and cheap. It's the same impression I get from most American cars -- they just strike me as having been designed with accountants looking over the shoulders of the engineers througout the design process and then assembled by people who couldn't care less how the finished product comes out as long as they get their paychecks at the end of the week!

Sure the Honda S2000 isn't perfect but, IMHO, it is more fun to drive than either the 911 or the Corvette--regardless of the price. Isn't that why we all bought a sports car--to enjoy it and have fun?

[Edited by S2000 Driver on 02-10-2001 at 11:35 AM]
Old 02-10-2001, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by S2000 Driver
Just before I purchased my S2000, I test drove a new Porsche 911/996 (the only REAL Porsche not the Boxster of Boxster S wanna-be's) and a C5 Corvette.

[Edited by S2000 Driver on 02-10-2001 at 11:35 AM]
Look, Porsche snobs who own Hondas. Isn't that interesting.

You must be correct, though. It must be a mistake that the PCA classes my BoxsterS with all 911 C2 and C4s for AutoX and Time Trials. They COULDN'T be wrong.

And I guess I am really out of luck since this Honda owner is looking down his nose at me for not owning a "real" Porsche. Woe is me. How can I ever show my face at the country club again? (Hint: I don't belong to one)
Old 02-10-2001, 02:33 PM

it's not just him that thinks that. when i bring up the boxster amongst friends of mine, they all say... don't go thte wannabe way of driving a porsche. wait until you can get the real porsches.

boxsters are a dime a dozen, man. nice car, but the not really a porsche image is a pretty common thing it seems like.

the s2000... lots of people say it looks like a miata or it's just a honda.

it all depends on the people you talk to. so just ignore all this crap and stop being so sensitive.

Quick Reply: s2k vs zo6