Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Running red lights...

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:02 AM
20 Year Member

There are two spots here locally where people ALWAYS seem to run the red light. I saw a CR-V almost get cut in half by a semi about four months ago - the female driver was on the phone and the semi thought she saw him coming (he wasn't going that quickly, but he should have stopped) and she was beside a big lifted pick-up and didn't take the precaution of easing out to check the intersection. It was close!

Personally, I always slow down if an intersection has just had a change in traffic flow direction. I haven't had a really close call in a while, aside from people pulling out in front of my while making a right turn or something. That seems to happen all the time (just about everywhere, now that I think about it) and most of them are women that are tentative and can't make up their mind, then decide to go for it when I'm about thirty feet away.

Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

Because she was a woman.
Old 01-16-2007 | 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jan 16 2007, 09:08 AM
drive by the corner of dunkin and krispy....you'll see a parked cruiser.

why do always use that smilie in your posts? i don't know if you've ever said anything that's remotely funny, just askin'.
Old 01-16-2007 | 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Jan 15 2007, 07:22 PM
i don't buy that. as a study over a short period of time, sure it will work. but as longer yellows become the norm, drivers will subconsciously get used to the longer yellow, and driver's will be willing to cross the intersection later and later into the yellow, meaning the chance or running reds will increase.
I would probably make it so that all directions show red for maybe 2-4 seconds (depending on how big the intersection is) to give the person who beat the red light enough time to clear the intersection, before the green lights up for the other direction... I think the lights switch too fast...

I've been on intersections where the lights switch too fast, and a couple of cars beat the red... then the traffic perpendicular to the one that just got the red, gets the green light right away... and some cars that are slowing down for the, what have been the red, suddenly get the green. Then they'd feel like they don't need to slow down and watch for traffic because they already got the green... so they speed up again... and boom... an accident.

Now, if all directions got red light in that scenario, for about 2-4 seconds... that would give the cars that beat the red light some time to clear the intersection... and the cars coming up have a chance to slow down/stop before the intersection.
Old 01-16-2007 | 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by clawhammer,Jan 15 2007, 03:32 PM
I pretty much always go through the intersection, even if it is turning red. I'm almost never the first car in line.
WTH? I'm speechless.
Old 01-16-2007 | 06:17 PM

In PA we have people who think because the light turns green that they should jump the opposing driver while making a left turn in front of them. I hit the gas and blow the horn.
Old 01-16-2007 | 06:41 PM

I have to agree with those who think that people would eventually adjust to longer yellows, and start running 'em just as seriously.

If only Darwinian selection were operating more powerfully, we wouldn't have these problems with red light runners and cell-phone-talking airheads. Unfortunately, we live in a world in which such dangerous and antisocial actions are only rarely punished appropriately.

I've never had the opportunity, but if I'm ever heading toward an intersection just as the light turns green and someone runs the red in front of me, I ain't stopping.
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jan 16 2007, 09:02 AM
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

Because she was a woman.
why must you make such offensive remarks such as this? this is completely uncalled for.
Old 01-17-2007 | 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker,Jan 17 2007, 12:49 AM
why must you make such offensive remarks such as this? this is completely uncalled for.
that is because jonboy is a sexist and admitted male chauvinist. although he is seeking treatment, there are still minor set backs from time to time.

who are you anyway? a troll or an employee for the ethical police?
Old 01-17-2007 | 07:00 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by soul_fly,Jan 17 2007, 09:03 AM
that is because jonboy is a sexist and admitted male chauvinist. although he is seeking treatment, there are still minor set backs from time to time.

who are you anyway? a troll or an employee for the ethical police?

Thanks. Someone obviously can't take a joke that has zero malice behind it.
Old 01-17-2007 | 07:02 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kicker,Jan 17 2007, 12:49 AM
Are you Helen Keller?

That was a harmless joke and was aimed at no one in general or particular. It was just a joke about driving, since this thread is about driving habits.

Quick Reply: Running red lights...