Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Running red lights...

Old 01-15-2007 | 05:03 PM

that's the reason why i'm a strong proponent of red light camera citations. there is this interesection in my neck of the woods where historically, the intersection would be blocked half the time. after the city installed red light cameras, the problem was solved overnight. typical driver mentality is that "i have no problem violating traffic laws as long as there's a good chance i won't get caught." a red light camera guarantees that there will be a 100% chance you will get cited if you run a red. therefore, noone dared run a red (at least on purpose) anymore.
Old 01-15-2007 | 05:12 PM
Member (Premium)

funny there's a red light camera outside my place. I see the flash once in a while. esp at night.
Old 01-15-2007 | 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by S2020,Jan 15 2007, 06:12 PM
funny there's a red light camera outside my place. I see the flash once in a while. esp at night.
some people still run reds in those intersections cuz they don't know the cameras are there.
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:13 PM
20 Year Member

Fyi, in a 35 mph zone, the light is to stay yellow for four seconds, and yellow lights should never be shorter than that.

Studies show that simply making the yellow light last longer greatly reduces the number of red light runners and accidents in general. Of course, it makes too much sense and not enough money for municipalities and red light camera companies to do such a simple thing.
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 15 2007, 07:13 PM
Studies show that simply making the yellow light last longer greatly reduces the number of red light runners and accidents in general. Of course, it makes too much sense and not enough money for municipalities and red light camera companies to do such a simple thing.
i don't buy that. as a study over a short period of time, sure it will work. but as longer yellows become the norm, drivers will subconsciously get used to the longer yellow, and driver's will be willing to cross the intersection later and later into the yellow, meaning the chance or running reds will increase.
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:30 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Jan 15 2007, 10:22 PM
i don't buy that. as a study over a short period of time, sure it will work. but as longer yellows become the norm, drivers will subconsciously get used to the longer yellow, and driver's will be willing to cross the intersection later and later into the yellow, meaning the chance or running reds will increase.
You'll always have drivers that will push the limits, but for the average driver, a yellow light means the light is changing and with more time to (notice the yellow and) stop, less people run reds. The problem with short yellows is that people aren't paying attention like they should, take their eyes/attention off the road, and the light goes from green to red.
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 15 2007, 07:30 PM
The problem with short yellows is that people aren't paying attention like they should, take their eyes/attention off the road, and the light goes from green to red.
ohhh yeeeeeeeeaaa... so all those people who i saw running those red lights today just did it on accident! wow, i feel like such a bitch for judging them so harshly...

haha, i understand what you're saying... but i think that a lot of people would still abuse it. and i definitely think that most people who run yellowish-red lights are doing it on purpose.
Old 01-16-2007 | 03:58 AM

i watched a van start to go through at least a full second after it turned red this morning. I wonder why the cops don't just sit at certain lights and ticket people....

That could be a HUGE source of $ and maybe teach people not do it.?
Old 01-16-2007 | 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Jan 16 2007, 04:58 AM
i watched a van start to go through at least a full second after it turned red this morning. I wonder why the cops don't just sit at certain lights and ticket people....

That could be a HUGE source of $ and maybe teach people not do it.?
i think red light cameras will be cheaper in the long run than having a patrol car sit at one particular intersection every single day.
Old 01-16-2007 | 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Jan 16 2007, 08:09 AM
having a patrol car sit at one particular intersection every single day.
drive by the corner of dunkin and krispy....you'll see a parked cruiser.

Quick Reply: Running red lights...