Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Running red lights...

Old 01-15-2007 | 01:59 PM

Smile Running red lights...

i'm on the freeway coming back to work from my lunch break... i get off the freeway and theres a commercial truck right in front of me pulling a long trailer of some sort... the light for the traffic getting off the freeway turns yellow, and he has PLENTY of time to stop... in fact, the person in front of him had time to stop. but he keeps going... the light turns red and his trailer is still in the intersection and traffic in front of him is at a dead stop so he can't move... so now he's holding up the cross traffic with his ass in the intersection. ugh...

so i'm sitting there at the red light waiting... suddenly my light turns green and i start to go and a minivan goes sailing in front of me.

i'm sitting at another light on the next block.... red light running minivan is sitting next to me. our light turns green and we have to wait an additional 2-3 seconds as TWO more cars run the red light and sail through the intersection.

WTF... am i the only one who actually STOPS at red lights these days!? what really chaps my ass is two years ago i was behind a lifted truck in my lowered integra and couldn't see far enough over his canopy to see that a light had turned yellow.... and i got a $350 ticket for "failure to obey a traffic control device." AHHHHHHH! where's a cop when you need one... or four. bastards.

/rant.
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:20 PM
20 Year Member

ha, you sound like Scot.
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:25 PM

They will pay the price for running a red light. One day they will be surprised when there is an eighteen wheeler coming straight at them.
They would probably learn their lesson, but then again, they would probably be dead.
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:32 PM

I pretty much always go through the intersection, even if it is turning red. I'm almost never the first car in line.
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:55 PM
20 Year Member

I always look both ways before entering an intersection anymore - there are too many idiots on cell phones paying no attention any more for me. I'll never forget the blonde in the 3 series convertible that almost hit me by running a red light - if I hadn't seen her coming and swerved she would have plowed right into my car. I was so pissed a sped up to her and cussed her out for the whole time we were stopped at the next light. The whole time she had a scared doe look on her face, and a cell phone up to her ear...
Old 01-15-2007 | 03:23 PM

I totally feel your pain......I moved to Florida a couple years ago and that seems to be standard practice here. When I had my X-Terra I didn't mind too much because when the light turned green I'd just pull into the intersection as fast as I could (my light was green and it was my turn to go, though I was sure to slow down enough to make sure I didn't hit anyone) and honk my horn as much as I could. It was always a great stress reliever. I'm sorry to hear that it's like that out there too now.
Old 01-15-2007 | 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 15 2007, 06:20 PM
ha, you sound like Scot.
I think the reason people run redlights is a combo of cell phone talking and "the rat race"... everyone is always in a hurry (it seems like I am at times also)..... If I run the redlight it is just barely..... I usually pretend to go and scare the shit out of the redlight runner..... "offensive driving" I think it is called.... my old man taught me that.
Old 01-15-2007 | 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by clawhammer,Jan 15 2007, 03:32 PM
I pretty much always go through the intersection, even if it is turning red. I'm almost never the first car in line.
why!?

it's sooooo RUDE!
Old 01-15-2007 | 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by C_Unit,Jan 15 2007, 07:29 PM
why!?

it's sooooo RUDE!
Saves 2 minutes. And those 2 minutes add up.
Old 01-15-2007 | 03:33 PM

never following the lights saved my ass a couple of times... once my light turns green, i accelerate slowly to see if anybody forgot their light is red. happens all the time so be careful (defensive).

Quick Reply: Running red lights...