Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.
View Poll Results: Rallye Driver or F1 Driver, Who's More Skilled?
Rallye Driver
55.00%
Formula One
45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Rallye Driver or F1 Driver, Who's More Skilled?

Old 01-04-2003 | 06:09 AM

Default Rallye Driver or F1 Driver, Who's More Skilled?

So I'm in Paris at this Internet Cafe and on TV is a Rallye with drivers going round and round figures 8's. I'd have to say they've got some skill. Ever wonder who's more skilled? A rallye driver or F1? I say Rallye since any wrong move and you're off a cliff.
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:37 AM

F1 drivers get paid more. In this world skill is proportional to salary. Rally drivers are also extremely skilled.
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:47 AM

My belief is that F1 drivers are most skilled. I would look at Rallye driving as a step towards F1 driving. Rallye drivers may go off a cliff because of a wrong move, but F1 drivers may slam into a safety barrier at 200+ MPH. Rallye drivers are racing a time and are the only ones on the course, while F1 drivers are racing against other cars and dangerously close with open wheels.
Old 01-04-2003 | 11:00 AM
lig
Community Organizer
20 Year Member

WRC, IMO, is the most fun form of racing for spectators. You can get up close and personal to the action. It's much more entertaining to watch than F1, to me.

I disagreee that compensation is directly related to skill in all circumstances. Kenny G is the biggest selling instrumentalist in the history of music. Michael Brecker is light years better as a technician. I'm sure he makes a fraction of the $$$ that Mr. Gorelick makes.

F1 drivers make WAY more $$$ than the WRC drivers do... IMO, they aren't THAT much more skilled than the rally drivers.

Alex Rodriguez makes roughly 25 million dollars/year - a neursurgeon won't make a fraction of that.

Choosing a high paying profession (especially one that involves marketing and hype) and excelling in it is the way to make money.

Or winning Lotto... :-)
Old 01-04-2003 | 11:01 AM

Originally posted by wantone
Ever wonder who's more skilled? A rallye driver or F1?
You're not serious are you?

Old 01-04-2003 | 12:49 PM

Tough call. The skill sets are so radically different, that a direct comparison is pretty tough. However, I think if you dropped a top WRC driver (Tommy Mak, C. McRae, Solberg, etc) in an F1 car they could be very fast, whereas if you dropped a top F1 driver in a 206 they'd not be nearly as fast. So in that respect, I'd have to give the edge to WRC drivers. Barely.
Old 01-04-2003 | 02:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WestSideBilly
[B]Tough call.
Old 01-04-2003 | 02:26 PM

I'd say both have their own unique skill sets and both are the top of the racing heirarchy in my opinion.

In the book, "Competition Driving by Alain Prost", I vividly remember a quote that F1 drivers respected Rally drivers as being some of the best racers. That in itself is a compliment to the Rally scene.

Lig, totally agree with ya.
Old 01-04-2003 | 05:07 PM
Banned

I believe that Rally drivers are slightly better than F1 drivers as rally drivers have to concentrate on the road, all four wheels, a co-driver's commentary, spectators, obstacles on the road, engine sounds and condition, road feel, and the such.

And F1 driver has all those minues the crowds and co-drivers. That is why I say the Rally driver is better.

Also, F1 drivers know the course they are driving and where to brake and where the passing points are, and they know it 50-70 times in 2 hours. Rally drivers do not know the course, are only told it while ON course, and have to make split second decisions based on the co-driver's notes and commentary.

Also, when Carlo Saintz was with Ford, he was the highest paid Spanish athlete or driver ever.
Old 01-04-2003 | 11:53 PM
Spammer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LordVagabond
[B]I believe that Rally drivers are slightly better than F1 drivers as rally drivers have to concentrate on the road, all four wheels, a co-driver's commentary, spectators, obstacles on the road, engine sounds and condition, road feel, and the such.

And F1 driver has all those minues the crowds and co-drivers. That is why I say the Rally driver is better.

Quick Reply: Rallye Driver or F1 Driver, Who's More Skilled?