Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Question for those prone to speeding tickets!! or cop bait!

Old 01-12-2004 | 10:49 PM

if a cop picks you out of a group of cars at the same speed(each above the speed limit) is that easy to contest in court?

I was going 75 max.. in a 65.. with a group of cars... I was 2nd from last.. and he said he got me at 80!! wat the.. and why me? possible to say he could have clocked someone to the front/behind/side me? because i was watching and conscious of my speed the whole time.. never passed 75.

I usually drive like a grandma and use cruise control at 70.. but this was a nice curvy road.. i think its car discrimination! the nicest looking one goes down! :/

thanks for any wisdom on contesting tickets..
Old 01-13-2004 | 02:58 AM

really...usually here in new zealand...it is the crappiest cars that go down.... well i guess it was a random decision...gotta pick one outa the crowd...and it could b coz others were faster so he couldnt of been able to catch them....and plus...he/she was only doing his/her job...though i think they r the pain in the butt myself...hehehe....
but hey...at least u were busted at 75...dad got busted at 65 hahahaha....and they tell us it is a 50 km zone...but there was no speeding signs....dad says it is a conspiracy...haha...take down all them signs or hide them...and say u have passed this limit by how much...and make u dig in ur wallet to hand over to the government....lol....not much fundings!!!...by the way...the cop...thought dad was drunk....but dad was just over happy...lol
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:03 AM

Well before that try to get extension and get another and get another until you cant get anymore, plead not guilty get court date and get that extended too tactic. You can gain up to 6 months and cops most of the times forget about the ticket by the time comes in. And also if he gave you a ticket only he needed to fill his quote it doesnt matter he probbly wont show up since 6 months later nobody looks at his averages. The problem is if you got the ticket from one of those fresh from the academy idealistic, I ll give a ticket to everyone type. Theyll show up even if you manage to extend the court date couple decades from now. Just because they like beeing ases against drivers ( I am sure they are nice people when they are not driving that cop car and give tickets in need to increase the size of their ego to make up for their small paycheck or soemthing else). First of all look at your ticket, if it says radar on it, try this. Ask officer why he specifically stopped you, or tried to clock you, he probably will say that he thought you were going faster than the speed limit, and then say if you would be the target the officer should of use a laser gun since you were driving in a crowd. you can say radars are impossible to target one vehicle that the signal could easly come from another vehicle driving by. Say you were in a group of cars and you were one of the (not the) slowest. In this case it looks like that the officer turned the radar on saw some high numbers from a group of cars and stopped the flash convertible because of the myth that a sports car has a better chance to speed than a 7 passanger van. Say that assuming and guessing should have no place and issuing tickets and punisments due to fact every single one of them needed to be proved by hard evidence. Get your story more stoger by giving excat details from that moment like time of day clean weather, type of car driving next to you possible MY, color, suroundings. Cops take notes too but if you can make the case look like that you know and remeber more details about the case, you might have a chance. you need to basically make him look like stupid without making him look like stupid if you know what I mean. Beeing very polite is very important too. What you want is ask a question and get no answer or half ass answer from the cop since he didint write that to his notes. However no matter what you do courts like to order in cops favor, to no to break their big egos and state likes the money.
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:06 AM

How to beat a ticket 101 sticky maybe ?
Old 01-13-2004 | 04:46 AM

Someone a few weeks ago told me to try this little trick as i am extremely prone to speeding tickets...ok

You get the ticket, find out what the fine is then send them a money order for five dollars OVER the actual cost. Then they will automatically send you a check for the difference. Dont ever cash the check. They cant officially put this on your record because it hasnt been completely resolved. Im not sure if this is BS but its worth a try. Especially after the $300 fine i just had to freakin pay.
Old 01-13-2004 | 07:47 AM

wow thats good advice hotchick, can anyone back this up?
Old 01-13-2004 | 07:57 AM

No, that is a urban legend. It was actually on my local news TV. The city WILL keep the money that is over. They don't have to return your over payment by law. In Michigan, some city are going after people intentionally over paid.

Perry
Old 01-13-2004 | 08:14 AM

haha good thing i checked.
Old 01-13-2004 | 08:28 AM

If you are speeding anyway (which you were) the judge might be pissed you even wasted his time contesting the ticket....do not get me wrong, I think you got screwed by him saying you were doing 80 mph, but it is your call.

I had a cop pull me over for 5 mph over in my NSX eventhough I was getting PASSED by cars doing 80-85 mph and I was going 70 mph (in a 65 zone). Yes, a fast looking car brings anger from some police officers, and brings tickets sometimes as well.
Old 01-13-2004 | 09:41 AM

I agree it isn't fair, but it is still just, IMO

Quick Reply: Question for those prone to speeding tickets!! or cop bait!