Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.
View Poll Results: Which is the proper way to make a left turn at an intersection:
Wait outside the intersection to enter and turn left when you can.
30.00%
Enter the intersection and wait, and turn left when you can.
70.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Proper way to make a left turn at an intersection

Old 01-15-2007 | 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the second one is illegal,
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to do the second one in many instances or you will never get to make the left turn.
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:54 PM

i pull a little into the intersection and wait for A.) a break in oncoming traffic or B.) i anticipate when the oncoming traffic's light will turn yellow and go when i see it slowing up. that's how my dad taught me... it might not be text book driving, but it's worked for me.
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:50 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Jan 16 2007, 01:04 AM
You have to do the second one in many instances or you will never get to make the left turn.
Old 01-16-2007 | 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 in city areas there is no way you'd get through the intersection by waiting behind the line for a clean break.
Old 01-16-2007 | 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tyraid2K,Jan 15 2007, 11:32 PM
the second one is illegal,
where do you live that it is illegal to enter an intersection on a green?
Old 01-16-2007 | 08:26 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I've heard there are a few states that actually state its illegal to enter an intersection when making a left turn, but I've never seen the documentation. I also know some driving instructors teach impressionable youth not to enter the intersection to make a left, but these are probably the same instructors that teach kids to drive in the left lane a ten under...

Regardless what you're taught, the best practice is to enter the intersection fully, and keep your wheels straight as you wait to turn left. This keeps you from getting punted into oncoming traffic is someone back-ends you, gives you the second-highest right of way, and makes your visible to surrounding drivers.

When you're in the intersection, you have more right of way than if you are waiting to enter - perpendicular traffic must wait for you to leave before they can enter, so you only have to yield to oncoming traffic ahead of you.

Also, if there's a lot of traffic and you can't turn until the light is yellow/red, you have the right of way and there's no question you entered an intersection on a red light (as some police or traffic cameras might think).

If you're in the intersection, traffic in the perpendicular road can also see you - you're more visible to others and thus its a bit safer for everyone around. This is really beneficial when someone is going 40 mph or faster as the light turns green for them, as they will be through the intersection almost immediately - you popping out and turning in front of them as your light is turning red is a great way to cause a crash.

Also, if you're in the intersection, the car(s) behind you can also enter, so if traffic is bad, at least one-two cars can safely make lefts at the end of the green light, as opposed to cars rushing into the intersection as the light turns red.
Old 01-16-2007 | 08:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by no_really,Jan 16 2007, 12:03 PM
where do you live that it is illegal to enter an intersection on a green?
I believe its illegal to enter an intersection if you cannot exit. for example, say there is a green light but the traffic on the other side of the intersection will not permit you to exit the intersection.. you must wait until there is room to fully exit the intersection before you ever enter.
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Mindcore,Jan 16 2007, 12:22 AM
Pull into the intersection, don't have your wheels pointed into traffic, that way if you are rear ended, you don't go flyng into oncoming traffic
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:21 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

If you are in city gridlock and do not enter the intersection until it is clear, you could block an entire lane of traffic unitl rush hour is over. Enter, and if you don't get through on the green, at least ONE car per green can turn.

Quick Reply: Proper way to make a left turn at an intersection