Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Please join me in my hate for....

Old 05-16-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please join me in my hate for....

It's the weirdest thing. Dave Matthews Band is talented (so I hear), racially diverse, and generally do their own thing rather than sound like everyone else. Let us also not forget that college-age students are legally required to be fans. All aspects mentioned here (except the last) says I should like DMB, yet, I hate the band.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 AM

Not all college-aged kids are fans, I'm not a fan. I guess I'm a little bit older than strictly "college age" but I think Dave Matthews carries himself like an egotist and I don't care for that.

Quick2K
Old 05-16-2009, 08:10 AM

mmmmmmm good luck with this one. Not that I'm a huge DMB fan but I think it's a generally appealing sound so I think you're going to find more fans than not fans.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 AM

I don't mind DMB, but I'm not crazy over them like one of my really good friends is, and I'm talking about he has ALL the live recordings; he has every CD made, really.

I've seen DMB twice live, both at Jazz Fest, and honestly I felt I was more obligated to go watch, since I was with friends, than went to watch because I enjoyed it. He doesn't play bad music, but it definitely wasn't the most exciting show and I wasn't able to get into it, both times. Plus, I saw almost no one else dancing. I didn't see him this year at Jazz Fest, but I heard there was a massive crowd there for him.

However, I did feel bad when the saxophonist passed away, and I think Boyd Tinsley is one of the most badass-looking dudes ever - second only to Professor Badass
Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 AM

I'd much rather sit through a Miley Cyrus concert than sit through a Dave Matthews concert.Every time I'm at a campus party I wanna punch the guy/girl that wears a DMB T-shirt or puts a DMB song into the playlist.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by tapout2000,May 16 2009, 08:10 AM
generally appealing
Like vanilla ice cream.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:27 AM

Not a fan either, he lost me a long time ago with that "hike up your skirt little boy" line.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by plutonium239,May 16 2009, 08:26 AM
Like vanilla ice cream.

Here's the DMB formula:

1. Musical complexity of prog rock (read: aimless doodling to musically wank off on the audience)

2. Free form aesthetic of jam bands (read: absolute inability to create a solo with a beginning, middle, and end within the song)

3. Personally intimate lyrics of the singer-songwriter crowd (read: will never say anything controversial)

4. Write a song about weed. People like weed. College kids like weed.

5. Similar to 1, write songs that white people like to dance to. Make sure they don't sound like actual dance songs - you might have to learn how to dance.

If you actually like the musical jerk-off session and you want better, try Bela Fleck and The Flecktones.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 AM

they lost me with the poo dump over the river in chicago

the guys have talent but he is too full of himself....he comes across humble at first but if you listen to him talk for more than 2 minutes he is strangely over-confident and condescending
Old 05-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 8D_In_Trunk,May 16 2009, 08:58 AM

Here's the DMB formula:

1. Musical complexity of prog rock (read: aimless doodling to musically wank off on the audience)

2. Free form aesthetic of jam bands (read: absolute inability to create a solo with a beginning, middle, and end within the song)

3. Personally intimate lyrics of the singer-songwriter crowd (read: will never say anything controversial)

4. Write a song about weed. People like weed. College kids like weed.

5. Similar to 1, write songs that white people like to dance to. Make sure they don't sound like actual dance songs - you might have to learn how to dance.

If you actually like the musical jerk-off session and you want better, try Bela Fleck and The Flecktones.

Spot on.

Quick Reply: Please join me in my hate for....