Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

passing to the right hand side of a slower vehicle

Old 07-12-2005 | 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Jul 12 2005, 04:20 PM
This is where you lost me. If I am in the same lane as a slower moving car, in order for me to pass, I must first change to another lane. Now we are in a condition same as (a) above (i.e., the two cars are in different lanes). So how does this constitute "passing" when it is not "passing" in case (a)?
The law applies to cases where you pass whilst you and the other car are in the same lane - yes, there are places in California where a single lane is wide enough for two cars abreast. (Think about a motorcycle passing a car - or another motorcycle - without changing lanes.)
Old 07-12-2005 | 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by vng,Jul 12 2005, 05:14 PM
According to magician, you may pass on the right anytime, it's legal. Just be careful about overtaking and passing to the right.
Don't exaggerate what I wrote: if you're in one lane you can pass another car in another lane. This discussion - the restrictions cited in the original post - pertains to passing another car when you're in the same lane as that other car. I never wrote that this is legal anytime. Indeed, I specifically wrote that is is illegal except under limited circumstances outlined in the statute cited.
Old 07-13-2005 | 02:32 AM
vng

Originally Posted by magician,Jul 12 2005, 08:53 PM
Don't exaggerate what I wrote: if you're in one lane you can pass another car in another lane. This discussion - the restrictions cited in the original post - pertains to passing another car when you're in the same lane as that other car. I never wrote that this is legal anytime. Indeed, I specifically wrote that is is illegal except under limited circumstances outlined in the statute cited.
that is correct, you never wrote that overtaking and passing to the right is legal anytime.

I was merely repeating what you had mentioned earlier about passing and just passing alone, not overtaking and passing:

As I mentioned above, in California if you're in one lane and a slower car is in another you can pass it legally irrespective of whether you're on the right or the left.
sorry for the confusion caused
Old 07-13-2005 | 02:48 AM
vng

Originally Posted by BPUKiller,Jul 12 2005, 06:19 PM
I've got no problem passing people on the left since rednecks in trucks seem to be the majority of idiots who drove slow in the fast lane here in San Diego. I don't know why, but I have the sneaky suspicion they are trying to control traffic.

Sam
Don't you hate it when there's a vehicle (eg. big trucks or suv's) driving slow in the fast lane in front of you? So you decide to overtake them because they are driving too slow (not to mention it's hard to see what's in front of them since we are way lower and they are way higher) They react by speeding up so that you can't pass them. At least they try because unluckily for them

Some people are relentless about being passed especially if it's coming from someone in lane to the right of them on the highway. Others realize, "oh crap, there's a long line behind me because I'm only going 65mph in the fast lane! Better speed up!"

Then some finally realize, "Why can't I catch up to that miata that just passed me???"
Old 07-13-2005 | 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by magician,Jul 12 2005, 08:47 PM
The law applies to cases where you pass whilst you and the other car are in the same lane - yes, there are places in California where a single lane is wide enough for two cars abreast. (Think about a motorcycle passing a car - or another motorcycle - without changing lanes.)
OK, now it all makes sense. This is called "lane splitting" in motorcycle terms. This is exactly what Section 21754, item (b) was referring to.

(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

So in CA, if the lane is wide enough, I can pass another vehicle on the right (within the same "lane"). Good to know.

I am still not convinced that it is legal (in CA) to pass on the right if one has to drive on the shoulders. But the wording is not precise in the code. I interpret "the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway" of Section 21755 to mean not the shoulder.

But thanks for all the clarifications, and the link to the CA Vehicle Code.
Old 07-13-2005 | 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=WhiteS2k,Jul 13 2005, 10:50 AM] So in CA, if the lane is wide enough, I can pass another vehicle on the right (within the same "lane").
Old 07-13-2005 | 02:35 PM

The law to cite here is stay right except to pass. In PA that's the law, which no one follows. People going slower in the left lane than traffic in the right are violating the law. That sign is posted up and down 76 but no one pays any attention. My pet peeve is improper lane usage. When traveloing 95 I typically stay in the right lane most of the way. Seems everyone thinks they drive too fast to be in the right lane meanwhile the left is slow and clogged with drivers out for a sunday cruise.
Old 07-13-2005 | 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by magician,Jul 13 2005, 03:08 PM
Um, not exactly.

Reread the initial post, especially the phrase ". . . only under the following conditions:".

You may do so in a business or residential district, but not outside a business or residential district. In particular, you may not pass on the right (in the same lane) on a highway.
Finish reading

Old 07-13-2005 | 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=exceltoexcel,Jul 13 2005, 02:38 PM] Finish reading

Old 07-13-2005 | 03:11 PM

I have received a 4 point ticket for passing on the right. It is illegal in NJ and most states. Here is a nice reference page: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

New Jersey:
Passing on right prohibited unless vehicles are in "substantially continuous lines". 39:4-85.

California:
"Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits" (what ever that means)

Florida:
Governor Bush vetoed SB732, which would have reserved the left lane for passing, saying that drivers blocking the left lane are "cautious and careful." (how can blocking other drivers be careful?)

Quick Reply: passing to the right hand side of a slower vehicle