Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

passing to the right hand side of a slower vehicle

Old 07-12-2005 | 02:20 AM
vng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passing to the right hand side of a slower vehicle

I know it's taboo to pass on the right hand side, but it just makes sense for people who drive "efficiently" to take the quickest route and if the slower lane(s) are open... why not drive there?

A counter argument may be that people can cut you off because they normally don't expect faster traffic to their right hand lanes making faster driving in the slower lanes more dangerous.

Anyway, here it is from the ugly horses mouth in California (california vehicle code):

21754. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the
right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left
turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with
unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of
moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
Old 07-12-2005 | 05:59 AM

The law you cite concerns passing when you're in the same lane as the other vehicle. When you're in a different lane you may pass legally.

You may change as many lanes as you like as long as you can do it safely.
Old 07-12-2005 | 08:19 AM

It all depends on the definition of "passing" or "pass". If there are two lanes going in the same direction and the traffic in one lane is moving faster than the other, are the cars in the faster lane "passing" the cars in the slower lane? In that case, people are "passing" on the right all the time because situations like that happens all the time.

If I was stucked in the slower lane and I changed lanes to the faster moving lane and move ahead of the car that was in front of me in the slower lane, did I just "pass" the slower car? Would that be illegal in some areas? So how does the law define "pass" or "passing"?

I also don't understand this "people can cut you off because they normally don't expect faster traffic to their right" argument because drivers (in both lanes) must pay attention to the traffic around them. If I am in the left lane, I don't just blindly move to the right because I expect the traffic there to be slower. I must still look at the traffic before I move to the next lane. Likewise, if I am moving in ANY lane, I must anticipate other drivers making sudden lane changes, whether I am in the left (fast) lane or the right (slow) lane. It makes no difference to me.

Because I live in CA, where we use all the lanes, I am confused by this "no passing on the right" issue and why it is a bad idea. Can someone please enlighten me?
Old 07-12-2005 | 10:08 AM

As I mentioned above, in California if you're in one lane and a slower car is in another you can pass it legally irrespective of whether you're on the right or the left. The law against passing on the right only applies if you're in the same lane as the car you pass.
Old 07-12-2005 | 11:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=magician,Jul 12 2005, 10:08 AM] As I mentioned above, in California if you're in one lane and a slower car is in another you can pass it legally irrespective of whether you're on the right or the left.
Old 07-12-2005 | 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cyclon36,Jul 12 2005, 11:32 AM
You need to add "on a road where there is only one lane going in your direction"
Thanks for the clarification. But I am still confused (which happens easily now that I am vintage). How can I pass on the right if there is only one lane? To pass on the right I'll have to drive on the shoulder, and I am sure there are already vehicle codes that prohibit driving on the shoulder (or passing on the shoulder). So I am still not clear on why it is necessary to prohibit "passing on the right" (in some areas, but thankfully not in CA, but even in CA, one cannot drive on the shoulders).

[QUOTE=magician,Jul 12 2005, 10:08 AM]As I mentioned above, in California if you're in one lane and a slower car is in another you can pass it legally irrespective of whether you're on the right or the left.
Old 07-12-2005 | 11:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Jul 12 2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the clarification. But I am still confused (which happens easily now that I am vintage). How can I pass on the right if there is only one lane? To pass on the right I'll have to drive on the shoulder, and I am sure there are already vehicle codes that prohibit driving on the shoulder (or passing on the shoulder). So I am still not clear on why it is necessary to prohibit "passing on the right" (in some areas, but thankfully not in CA, but even in CA, one cannot drive on the shoulders).

And back to magician's post, people always say CA allows "passing on the right", so we have already ruled out passing on the right when there is only one lane because even CA prohibits passing on the shoulders. So consider two lanes going in the same direction and I am in the same lane as a slower car (regardless which lane that car is in), so how can I "pass" the slower car without switching lanes? I can always run the other car over, but I am sure that does not count as "passing". And if I switch lanes, then am I still "passing" or is my lane just moves faster? Can someone please explain?

Another question for people who live in areas where it is illegal to "pass on the right": Given magician's example, "if you are in one lane and a slower car in in another", does that mean if the slower car is in the left lane and you are on the right lane, then when you come up to the slower car, you must slow down to the same speed as the slow car? Otherwise you risk being cited for "passing on the right"?
The law basically states that you can pass another car as long as there is a lane for it. They did it kind of redundantly and reiterrated a few other laws in the process, but such is legalese.

So, if another lane is open, use it. That's pretty much it.

BTW, someon once mentioned that the law in Cali is you have to wait 2 seconds before switching out of a lane you just got into. So you can't cut across a few lanes at a time.
Old 07-12-2005 | 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cyclon36,Jul 12 2005, 11:55 AM
So, if another lane is open, use it. That's pretty much it.
Yes, that is what we do in CA. But then passing on the right is permitted in CA, so this is nothing new for us.

I am curious about areas where "passing on the right" is NOT permitted, what is the definition for "passing" and what is the correct behavior when driving in those areas? I'd hate to drive across country and get cited for passing when I don't understand the law because we do things a little differently here.

Once I was in New York City and I made a right turn against a red light (when it was safe to do so), a NY police car pulled up next to me and he shouted: "Hay, this is not California, there is no right turn on red." Thankfully he just sped away. So I know some areas have different traffic codes, but I just want to know what they are before I get in trouble. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005 | 12:53 PM
Banned

the issue with passing on the right is primarily on single lane roads, but exists on multi-lanes as well. The danger is the slower driver seeing the car coming up behind, and pulling to the right to let them pass, while the faster car tries passing on the right. Passing on the shoulder is so dumb most people don't need to be told there is a law against it, but I've seen it more than once.
Old 07-12-2005 | 01:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Jul 12 2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, that is what we do in CA. But then passing on the right is permitted in CA, so this is nothing new for us.

I am curious about areas where "passing on the right" is NOT permitted, what is the definition for "passing" and what is the correct behavior when driving in those areas? I'd hate to drive across country and get cited for passing when I don't understand the law because we do things a little differently here.

Once I was in New York City and I made a right turn against a red light (when it was safe to do so), a NY police car pulled up next to me and he shouted: "Hay, this is not California, there is no right turn on red." Thankfully he just sped away. So I know some areas have different traffic codes, but I just want to know what they are before I get in trouble. Thanks.
Oh, well good luck finding that out. Every state is screwy in their own way.

Quick Reply: passing to the right hand side of a slower vehicle