Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Parking Tickets from Campus Police

Old 12-15-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this depends on the school and how badly they want to collect their ticket revenue. I went to UCLA, where tons and tons of parking tickets are issued by UCPD.

If you were a student there and accumulated 5 unpaid parking tickets, UCPD would put a wheel boot (the orange lock thingies) on your car until the tickets were paid. However, any overdue ticket prevented you from registering for classes or receiving a diploma.

If you weren't a student there, then outstanding tickets didn't really matter. UCPD never really bothered going after non-students, probably because they collected so much revenue from students.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Banned

Here's the actual answer for you:

It depends on the schools. Some schools just enforce it internally, meaning that if you go to school there, they will put a hold on your registration, grades, whatever. Other schools can enforce it through the DMV, just like if you get a ticket on a public road.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:50 AM

Here's the heads up--I goto NC State and have had several parking tickets.

If you are not a student, the rumor is that you dont have to pay your ticket. However, the campus police are actual police officers--they are a branch of the Raleigh Police Department. I know this because two of my really good friends are RPD's.

If you are a student, you must pay the ticket--if you ever want to get your grades or graduate. If this is your first offense, then goto the transportation dept and appeal the ticket. The rule is that your first offense always gets dropped as a warning, unless you parked in a handicap spot. Sounds like you parked in a no parking zone.

Anyways I hope that helps. I didnt really read what other people said because I didnt see that any of them were from Raleigh. Either way if you are a student or not, I would goto the transportation office and appeal the ticket--you'll at least get it reduced or even thrown out.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:51 AM

Again, depends on the school. I went to a private school and for non-students they couldn't do . I saw more than one person ball up their tickets and throw it at campus safety officers. Private property tickets (like the front lawn example above) aren't enforcable. For students, they'd make you pay and one car my senior got a boot and probably had a very serious fine after 10 tickets or so on the windshield.

Public schools... pay the damn ticket yesterday.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the responses. It was a Duke game, and I work next to the wife of the deputy sheriff and he said that they can actually put a lein on my car if i do not pay it. So i guess i will be trying to appeal it and see where that gets me. otherwise, i think if it is just a lein, i will risk not paying it, since all i would do is get a few extra years to pay it off.

and for those curious, i was parked on towerview road, same place i have always parked for the last 3 years, attended at least 5 games and noone on that road has ever been ticketed. i can only assume that since they started charging $5 for every lot space that they now try to make more money by forcing people to park in pay spots. i do think that since there was a parking attendant directly across the street, he should have let us know that this was not valid parking, im sure he knows and he just watched everybody do it anyway. also, there was no sign saying no parking.

Dave
Old 12-21-2004, 05:20 AM

They'd have to sue you and win a judgement first before they could put a lein against your car. I don'[t think it's worth them taking u to court, also if it doesn't say no parking f them. I'd just forget about it and see what happens.