Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Parking Tickets from Campus Police

Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parking Tickets from Campus Police

I was at a basketball game and received a parking ticket, on top of that, the fine was $100. does campus police have the ability to actually enforce this or can they just tow me if they see me back on campus?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^if you don't have a parking permit. then you deserve the fine. doesn't matter. you know the rules to parking. they are police on campus and have jurisdiction there
Old 12-15-2004, 04:05 AM

He He doubtable. I wouldn't pay it! Ask around, someone had to get aticket from them in the past.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:11 AM

Why wouldn't they have the right to enforce it?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:16 AM

They do. Campus police are no different than regular police. You are on their property.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:54 AM

If you're a student, don't expect a diploma if you don't pay.

However, to answer your question, yes, I think they're enforceable. I see you're in Raleigh. If you were at a State game and they issued the ticket and you fail to pay, State could forward the unpaid fine to a collection agency, the NC Attorney General's Office, or the Department of Revenue for collection. The university is empowered by the state to issue tickets and collect fines.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:03 AM

The security officer isn't a legal law enforment deputy of the state?

If it's not issued by a law enforcement officer how can it be legal?

If you parked on my front lawn can I give you a $1000 ticket, if so would the DA actually enforce it?

Where's defender the resident lawyer when you need him, he'll have all the answers?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:17 AM

I just graduated from JMU last year, and our parking went like this.

If you got a ticket and you were a student, if you didn't pay they put a hold on your record. Meaning, you couldn'tegister for classes, or graduate until you paid the fines.

I had many friends come visit when i lived on campus freshman year and they got tickets, but since they didn't go here it didn't matter. The main thing about getting a ticket at my school was as long as your Name/school record could not be tied to the car being ticketed, the tickets were BS. I have never heard of anyone, who was a guest that got a ticket ever being tracked down by the state/university and sent to collections. FYI JMU is a State School.

However, after being ticketed over and over again they would tow people. Towing usually was after a hefty amount of tickets. I know one kid who ended up racking up over 1200$ in parking tickets. To come out even stephen the parking office just made him buy a parking pass for the year to cover the time he parked on campus which = like 180$.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:57 AM

This is a weird topic at the school I went to (SUNY Albany). Basically they have students (we call them sellouts) go around and check for passes of other students' cars and write tickets for things like wrong zone, parking on a handicap person, teachers parking, no sticker, etc.

But there is also campus security, who basically patrol the halls at night to keep the female student population under a cloak of comfort.

And then there is a Campus Police, who can also write tickets, but what is worse, is that these guys have all the power of NY State Troopers. They have no jurisdiction, all of NY is theirs. Its funny to watch freshman crack jokes on them, to see them get carted off and scared shitless.

Basicallly if you get a Campus Police ticket at SUNY Albany you pay it, if you get any other ticket, you dont pay it until the end of the semester so you can get your grades. If you dont have a sticker, dont bother paying, because they have no idea who owns the car, and cant block the mystery persons grades.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 AM

I think it's different from school to school, but I know that where I go to University, it's not enforced at all because the campus security can't really do anything about it.

Although I agree with some of the above posters and if you deserve it, pay it.

Quick Reply: Parking Tickets from Campus Police