Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

out of state speeding ticket

Old 07-11-2006 | 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out of state speeding ticket

Was driving on 57 South Bound on saturday following a neon on the left lane and right before I entered Effiham there's that rest stop on the right with a bunch of trees to it. All of a sudden my detector goes off on laser mode and I slow down, no braking, and switch to the right lane. As I'm doing this I see the cop turning on his car and pulling out of the rest area and flys by me in order to catch the neon that i was following. and i think to myself, thank god he got him instead of me. and about 10 seconds later, i see another cop had pulled over a truck and as i pass this one, he pulls out and follows me, but by this time i'm doing <65. after pacing me for about 10 seconds, he pulls me over and was pretty polite, but didn't even mention a warning, wrote me a ticket for 81 in a 65 and 2 warnings, one for following the neon too closely and another for scott's law(i passed him on the right lane when he was first stopped, should've moved to the left lane, that's a law i guess, not just a common courtesy anymore). I dont know how the cop could've lasered me AND him in such a little time and since he said i was following the neon so closely, i dont know how he could've lasered my liscence plate... So in this case the cop who had pulled me over wasn't the cop who had lasered me, so maybe if i go to court, one of them wont show. I have a MA liscence and insurance, would this increase my insurance? I dont know if IL and MA share information. I'm gonna call my insurance agent and ask, but i dont really know how to get an answer outta her w.o telling her i got a ticket. I dont think i can take the driving school since i got a ticket a year ago in march. On my ticket it said court appearance not required, but i still got a court date and time. and on the back i can either plead guilty or not guilty, and if i plead not guilty i get assigned another court date, which i dont understand cuz why would they have the first date assigned when i was issued the ticket? does any1 have experience fighting a ticket in IL? or know anything about getting a ticket out of state?

THanks in advance
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:07 AM

also found something that could help my case, according to IL law:

"A limit so determined and declared by a park district, city, village, or incorporated town becomes effective, and suspends the application of the limit prescribed in Section 11‑601 of this Chapter, when appropriate signs giving notice of the limit are erected at the proper place or along the proper part or zone of the highway or street. Electronic speed‑detecting devices shall not be used within 500 feet beyond any such sign in the direction of travel; if so used in violation of this Section evidence obtained thereby shall be inadmissible in any prosecution for speeding. "

guess i can drive back and see if there are any speed limit signs within 500 ft of the rest area but it's an hour away from where i live...
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

If it is in the chicago area, (I am not familiar with where you where) the court system is so plugged you need to go to court, get on the back end of the calendar and you are set. They schedule wayy to many cases for one day, hear as many as they can get through, and dismiss what is left over.

My dad got one going through Chicago and had one of his former law partners that lived in Chicago go do this for him. It will cost you or an attorney a day of their life though.
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:17 AM

all MVD's are now connected nation wide so hopefully you get away with it.
Old 07-11-2006 | 12:29 PM

I got a ticket in Florida and never paid it. It isn't on my Texas driving record and I don't have a warrant for my arrest here. I suspect I do have a warrant for my arrest in Florida so I am careful not to speed when I'm there.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

^ friggin sweet.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:46 AM

States reciprocity only extend to suspended licences.

Don't get your licence suspended the other states don't find out...
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Jul 12 2006, 02:46 PM
States reciprocity only extend to suspended licences.

Don't get your licence suspended the other states don't find out...
That's just not true. I got a speeding ticket in NH and my rates for my MA insurance went up during the next renewal period.
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:38 PM

You must have told them. Or your insurance company looked up your records in the state wher eyou received the ticket. However that's not what I said in the first place what I said was the STATE wouldn't find out...
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:40 PM

IF YOU ARE A LICENSED DRIVER OF ANOTHER STATE, BE ADVISED THAT THE STATE OF NEW YORK HAS RECIPROCITY WITH MOST OTHER STATES AND CAN NOTIFY THE STATE WHERE YOU ARE LICENSED THAT YOU HAVE AN UNRESOLVED TICKET IN NEW YORK STATE. YOUR STATE WILL THEN PROCEED TO SUSPEND YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE.

Quick Reply: out of state speeding ticket