Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

>:O Speeding tickets, cops, and lawyers >:O

Old 04-16-2008 | 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default >:O Speeding tickets, cops, and lawyers >:O

Just blowing of some steam...

I got pulled over about a month and a half ago for speeding. Got a ticket for 84 in a 65. Hired a lawyer so the points wouldn't hit my driving record. Haven't had another ticket in 5 years so I didn't want to ruin my currently spotless record.

Today, I get pulled over again. Another ticket for 41 in a 30. As the cop is handing me the ticket he informs me that I have a warrant for my arrest in another city for missing a court date (the city that gave me the first ticket). Apparently the lawyer I hired to make the points go away screwed something up. I've talked to him and he is still not sure why I have a warrant but says he will take care of it in court on Friday. I guess it's a good thing this happened in two different cities or I would be in jail right now?

Want to hear the worst part!!?? Both tickets were in my daily '91 Accord not the S.

The other thing that pisses me off, is the process of how to keep points of your record. I want to know how this isn't the very definition of extortion. I called around to a few lawyers to get a quote for not getting the points on my record. ALL 3 lawyers I talked to said the same thing. 19 over in Kansas City is $237.50 to not have points hit your record plus what ever fee the lawyer wants to charge. So Kansas City gives me a 19 over speeding ticket which has a fine of $120. If I plead guilty by paying the fine the points will hit my record, my insurance will go up and it will cost me lots of money. OR I can pay the city $237.50 and they will LIE and say it was a non-moving violation so that I get no points and my insurance wont go up. The city has a table that says for X miles over the limit you will get a $Y fine or you can pay $Z to make it a non-moving violation. How is that not extortion?

>:O
Old 04-16-2008 | 12:53 PM

the charges are "conveniently" reflective of what is really happening. officially, the DA has given you the privilege of a "lesser" offense
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:00 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Its a tax on speeding, not extortion imo. If you don't want to pay, don't speed, or don't get caught.
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 16 2008, 01:00 PM
Its a tax on speeding, not extortion imo. If you don't want to pay, don't speed, or don't get caught.
The "tax" on speeding is the fine. The "extortion" is the city saying I can pay double the "tax" and they will LIE so that my insurance doesn't go up.
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 16 2008, 02:00 PM
It's not the ticket he receives for speeding that he is disputing, it's that you can make it disappear by waiving a little extra cash at the government and they'll effectively change history for you.

I see it as extortion, personally.

Instead of the court offering you an amount, picture the cop on the side of the road telling you that the ticket will disappear if you give him $XXX. Does that seem ethical? No, they are both in a position of power which was not abused until you are given a "buy your way out" option.
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Apr 16 2008, 01:10 PM
It's not the ticket he receives for speeding that he is disputing, it's that you can make it disappear by waiving a little extra cash at the government and they'll effectively change history for you.

I see it as extortion, personally.

Instead of the court offering you an amount, picture the cop on the side of the road telling you that the ticket will disappear if you give him $XXX. Does that seem ethical? No, they are both in a position of power which was not abused until you are given a "buy your way out" option.
Exactly my thoughts! I was speeding, I deserve the ticket.

I was just shocked at the process for not getting points on my record. I thought it would have something to do with the lawyer going to court, pointing out to the judge that my record was clear, and offering to take some driving classes or something to get the points taken off. I was NOT expecting the city to have a published chart of going X amount over the speed limit will cost you $Y to have it removed from the record. The city doesn't care about my clean record or want to make me take a class...they just want double their money and they'll make it disappear.
Old 04-16-2008 | 02:47 PM

why don't you have a radar detector?
it would have paid for itself at least twice over.
Old 04-16-2008 | 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ricosuave,Apr 16 2008, 02:47 PM
why don't you have a radar detector?
it would have paid for itself at least twice over.
I got hit with LIDAR both times so I'm not sure it would of helped...

I DO plan on getting a detector and some laser jammers for the S...but not for my Accord which is what I was pulled over in both times
Old 04-16-2008 | 07:13 PM

Sucks, I have learned the hard way with a 52 over the speed limit and a reckless driving charge for having a passenger in the car at that speed.

Talk about years of paying ridiculous insurance on top of lawyer fees (500+) ticket fines (600+) insurance increases (200+ / month), and license reinstatement fee (210). Yeah it was thousands of dollars set back for one stupid night.

The worst part was, the cop was behind me the whole time, I was just too stupid to look behind me before I launched off the light, and a radar detector would have saved me a lot of time, money, and harassment of family and friends.

Anyways, point is I have been ticket free for over 6 years now, and it
Old 04-17-2008 | 05:33 AM

Where do I buy this blinder mx-20? Or even just get more information about it? I have a V1, but want a laser jammer as well...

EDIT: Took me awhile to realize its called the Blinder M20 or M25. I found them.