Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

New Driver's License Law lobby!!!

Old 11-05-2001 | 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the other countries represented on S2000 International, but the driver training and licensing system in America has expired and really needs to be overhauled.

Every driver is given the same license. We are forced to drive really slow or get a ticket. Laws seem to be arbitrary instead of having a factual basis. The solution is to have "spped ratings" or something like that to benefit those drivers who know what they are doing...
Old 11-05-2001 | 05:27 PM

A snippet from that site:

"Every driver on the road, regardless of IQ, age, or driving skill, is given the same license as everyone else. Now, we all know that some people can drive 100 MPH while talking on the phone and eating... and some people can barely stay on the road or go over 35 MPH.

I say, lets start giving out licenses that have "ranks". That is, if you qualify you should be allowed to drive fast and do whatever you want to while driving."
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:02 PM

Let me try hyperlinking that URL again:

http://everyone1557.community.everyone.net...6&view=stand ard
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

other countries require that you at least take a first aid class and are skilled at it - here - places are too far apart from each other - car dealers and insurance companies, let alone the gov't makes too much money on underage drivers in accidents and other mishaps to pull licenses away. but ranks? hmm, where I grew up, you'd be lucky if the other driver had insurance, let alone a license or even spoke English.
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:19 PM

Ouch! That is exactly what I would like to see "upgraded" about America. Why do we have a large percentage of the population not even able to read the road signs?

I'm not suggesting that we ban them from driving... just give me some kind of warning. My car is way too valuable to lose, and so is my semi-spotless driving record. I would have avoided any confrontations with the law if we all had some kind of sticker or something on our plates... letting the authorities know that we are skilled!!! (and we could be on the lookout for the "bad" stickers of people who are a threat to our vehicles, driving records or LIVES).

Ugh. I'm totally into this petition and I hope it goes somewhere, even if only to "raise the eyebrows" of a few politicians.
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:30 PM

P.S.- Love the Bulletproof Web site!
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was an issue that was heard this past year in front of the supreme court where someone in Alabama thought it was unconstitutional for the drivers license to be only offered in ENGLISH!

signs, for the most part are symbolic, and of course, americans are so english-centric and american-centric, but sheesh, this is wehre we live, right? well if you find the results, let me know.
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:42 PM
Former Moderator

In Canada we have graduated licencing, it take about a year to get a full licence I believe. Wether it works or not, I can't say.

But, can you clarify something fo me? are you saying that skilled drivers should be allowed to follow a higher speed limit the the less skilled?
Would we all share the same road? can you imagine the chaos? Johnny pick up truck can't go faster then 40, a skilled sports car driver is alowed to go 70. Hmm, what happens when these 2 cars meet? can't be good I would imagine.

What really needs to happen is strict licencing, frequent driver assesments, minimum safety ratings on car, tires checks etc. and realistic speed limits for the year 2000, not 1965.

I'm not trying to hack on you, I was thinking the same thing today I was driving down a 60km zone, where it would be prefectly safe to go 100km
but what can ya do?
Old 11-05-2001 | 07:00 PM

You bring up a very interesting point... and I thank you!

Sharing the same road may be a little dangerous when a higher speed vehicle approaches lower speed vehicles. I drive in Los Angeles, and there are so many lanes that it wouldn't be a problem if: (1) The fast lane was used to go... FAST. (2) People act responsible and follow their skill levels. (3) In areas where lanes are scarce, or in residential neighborhoods, drivers would have to "dumb down" and generally drive slower.

The essence of what needs to be accomplished would be this:
The upper-level drivers would only achieve their rank after testing and certification. How long it takes to prove someone is both skilled AND consistently uses good judgement is unknown to me. However, I believe that if people are held accountable for their actions, there wouldn't be too many people abusing this priveledge.

I do agree with you on the stricter licensing. Raise the limits and laws to account for our modern vehicles (and higher doses of Starbucks in drivers' systems), then see who is road-worthy... instead of lowering EVERYONE to the lowest common denomiator!

The 55 MPH speed limit in America is simply a relic of a bygone era. I believe that today, it CAUSES more accidents than not. People get bored or frustrated, and their attention turns from the road.

Yes, this may be a futile battle, but I just hate sitting around (or am I going 55?... is the car actually moving?). I would love for the law enforcement A__holes to lighten up on me when I'm doing 70 on an abandoned highway in the fast lane! Am I alone?
Old 11-05-2001 | 07:02 PM

Cast your vote:

http://everyone1557.community.everyone.net...6&view=stand ard