Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Need some engine suggestions

Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tapout2000,Sep 28 2009, 02:37 PM
Raj is too busy posting pics of his new car and not moderatin' this muh' fuhcka!
and not good ones either...
Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM

teh engine has to be fwd? or the drivetrain? or?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM

miata chassis and s2k drivetrain

light as a feather and a track proven performer, i know its getting to be a common swap but it suits your demands perfectly
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by buyos1717,Sep 28 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm trying to build a street legal track car. I've looked into several plans/builds of it and i'll probably be doing the physical building in a year. But that should be the easy part. I'm going to make a CAD model of it and run stress analysis to make sure i get a stong and light structure.

I'll be sure to post all the good stuff once it gets going but i'm stuck already. I want a reliable, high revving, and potent engine. I don't mind slightly building the engine but i would like 200whp NA. I might slap on a turbo later so that's a possibility also. The engine MUST be FWD. This should simplify the build.

Wants:
High Revs
200whp NA
Fairly Compact
A lot of aftermarket support
Reliable
under $5k with transmission (preferably 6spd)

I don't mind it having no torque, that would be perfect.

The s2k engine sounds perfect for this, but I can't find too much info on how to connect the RSX engine to the engine. I thought about the k20 and it is one of my top choices right now. I just think it's kind of pricey.
Anyways, what do you think?
this has to be a joke...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Tapout2002 -
I didn't think it should go in the "Car Talk" forum because i wasn't talking about any specific cars. I figure it was more off topic because it had to do with a custom car build rather then production cars and/or comparisons of them. I guess i shouldn't have read the description of that part of the forum too literally.

2002ep3stage1 -
I did run a search but i couldn't find any relevant information. I don't normally frequent this side of the forums so maybe i missed some pertinent threads that the search didn't show. Maybe you could point me to it/them?

zachismisitok -
I guess any engine would work, as long as it can be mated with a FWD transmission. I just figured it would be cheaper and more reliable to find an engine and transmission that are both fwd.

curiouz_G
Because the car will hopefully weigh less then 1500 lbs, torque isn't the big issue. I think if the car is making 200hp then it probably has enough torque, i can be wrong though. The k20 seems pretty pricey ($5k with transmission?) so i was hoping there would be some alternatives. I'm pretty sure you can build B or H series engines but I like how the K series already has more hp, which i would think allows more potential for higher power builds. I'm pretty much just going off of information i found online so i don't know how reliable the sources are.

beanseff -
The chassis is going to be custom made. The s2000 engine would be perfect but the engine and transmission would be really difficult to use in a mid-engine setup.

If the thread should be moved, please help or let me know (I'm not sure if i can move it myself?).

Thanks to those with the honest input so far. Anybody have any other suggestions or comments? I was hoping someone could share their experience with which engine they think would suit my needs the best. The lighter the engine, the better too!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 AM

mods have to move it. i think you might actually have better luck in https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11
Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 AM

I will move it for you, hold on a second.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 AM

***thread moved***
Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by buyos1717,Sep 29 2009, 12:26 AM
Tapout2002 -
I didn't think it should go in the "Car Talk" forum because i wasn't talking about any specific cars. I figure it was more off topic because it had to do with a custom car build rather then production cars and/or comparisons of them. I guess i shouldn't have read the description of that part of the forum too literally.
Let's see, specific car talk on an S2000 forum, which is probably an S2000, is in the S2000 forum. Anything else that has wheels and a combustion engine, which it sounds like what you're refering to would fall in to that classification, would go in car talk. If it's not about cars. Then it would go in OT. Seems pretty point specific to me.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 AM

MR setup? custom made chassis? street legal?
i want some of what you're smoking,

all i'm going to say is you better be a suspension engineer, and a damn good tig welder
look into the k20a type r 220hpor or you can save yourself a lot of headaches and get a rolling chassis from RCR: race car replicas

Quick Reply: Need some engine suggestions