Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Need Possible Legal Advice Concerning Car Title

Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Possible Legal Advice Concerning Car Title

I need some advice from some fellow s2k owners. I purchased a car from a user on this forums Oct 28th. I flew out to Alameda, Cali from Denver, Colorado to inspect then purchased and drove the car back home. Well I still have not received my title and the owner hasn't been of much help. He has been screwing me around left and right. When I started inspecting the car I first noticed damage that he never mentioned or were shown in his pictures. Besides the damage I talked him down on the price and he agreed. The car was also to come with a brand new set of Potenza's for the rear because they were bald. The tires weren't even in his possession and to find out they were in another city in Cali at a shop and had been there 4 months and the owner wasn't sure they were still even there or not. Well I finally got the tires late December after going thru finding the owner of the shop and sending him the money to ship them myself even after the guy I purchased the car from agreed to send them to me since they weren't there when I tried to get them before leaving Cali. Well after all this he said after the money cleared he would give me the title. The check was a certified check from my credit union so obviously it was good. Well he sends me the DMV papers late last month and he signed the papers wrong and signed in the buyers section so I told him to redo the papers correctly and he had a hissy fit. Well since then I been asking for the new correct papers and am yet to receive them or the title. Oh and to top this all off this guy is a lawyer. Anyone have any advice or suggestions for my situation?

Cliffs:
Bought a car 2+ months ago from out of state from a member on here.
Previous owner agreed to send me title after funds cleared.
The previous owner (a lawyer and former member) signed papers wrong and I asked to correct them.
Jan 07... still no title and previous owner isn't helping speed up the process.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you could threaten a fraud charge with the FBI as this is a multi thousand dollar transaction across state lines.

What do you mean by "dmv papers"? You mean he sent you the title, or something else?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

getting another copy of the Pink slip takes a really long time to get from the DMV, hes probably having that problem because I ran into something similar which does take some time to process. goodluck
Old 01-05-2007, 12:36 PM

It should take 4-6 weeks to get the title transfered. The papers I'm referring to are the transfer of title (paper he signed incorrectly) and odometer reading.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

May I take a page from Adam Corolla:

"My advice concerning Legal Advice is, 'Get some legal advice."

That is to say, get a lawyer. $300 now could save you an assload of headaches down the line.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:45 PM

maybe you could get "TITS" involved