Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Nebraske Fans

Old 12-11-2001, 10:12 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,292 Likes on 997 Posts
Default Nebraske Fans

My friend, Harriman Cronk, director of athletics (and past president) for the Tournament of Roses, the guy that put together the Rose Bowl in the BCS coalition, is absolutely estatic about Nebraska coming to the Rose Bowl. He's convinced that Nebraska fans are the most loyal in the country and will come out here in droves (translation: and spend a lot of money). He says if they can't catch a flight, they'll drive.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm......wonder how many percentage points were figured in for a teams' potential ticket sales. College football has become such a joke. On the other hand, way to go Hawaii!!!!!!!!! Annihilators of BYU!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 10:25 AM

I went to a Big 8 school (before it became the Big12). Everytime we played Nebraska at our stadium, 2/3 of the crowd was Nebraskans that drove 500 or 600 miles for the game. The entire town would be full of red cars, red trucks and red vans. I swear that Nebraska has more fans than any other college team in the country except Notre Dame.

In Phoenix, the Nebraska alumni even pay the local radio station to carry Nebraska games on the radio.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Tournament of Roses chief exec:" They're just good, salt-of-the-earth football fans....who'd give anything to meet Bob Barker."
Old 12-11-2001, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Pueo
hmmmm......wonder how many percentage points were figured in for a teams' potential ticket sales.
There was an interesting interview of John Feinstein on NPR yesterday, discussing the BCS. He pointed out that there are 118 division I-A teams; 63 are in the BCS and 55 are not. The biggest reason (in his opinion) that the BCS isn't scrapped in favor of a playoff championship is that those 63 teams don't want to run the risk of having to share the money with the other 55.

Note, by the way, that BYU is not in the 63.

The BCS has just been renewed till at least 2006.

Yuck!

(For those of you who think that the reason that they don't have a playoff championship is that the players would lose too much class time--an argument proffered by BCS supporters--note that the playoffs could be handled in three or four weeks--less time than the NCAA basketball championships--and that most of that would be during the winter / semester break, so that the lost class time would be minimal.)
Old 12-11-2001, 12:05 PM
bjl

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Raptor
[B]My friend, Harriman Cronk, director of athletics (and past president) for the Tournament of Roses, the guy that put together the Rose Bowl in the BCS coalition, is absolutely estatic about Nebraska coming to the Rose Bowl.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:13 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Sorry, he's inundated with requests. I doubt that I could even get one for myself. KeithD has a ticket, i think. Check out the DaRKCrow New years Party/Rose Parade thread in Meets and Events Forum.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by magician

Note, by the way, that BYU is not in the 63.

(For those of you who think that the reason that they don't have a playoff championship is that the players would lose too much class time--an argument proffered by BCS supporters--note that the playoffs could be handled in three or four weeks--less time than the NCAA basketball championships--and that most of that would be during the winter / semester break, so that the lost class time would be minimal.)
We're with Rice University who is a member of the WAC. BYU and several of their turn-coat cohorts defected the WAC a few years back claiming that our conference couldn't be taken seriously enough, etc., etc.. The butt-kicking put on'em by Hawaii was enjoyed by all of us who remain in compliance with the Wac contract. Supposedly BYU was talking about filing a lawsuit against the BCS (?) for not considering their previously undefeated *****. Funny how things always come back to get 'cha! The Mountain, whatever they call their conference now, suddenly doesn't seem so attractive. Guess they're looking to jump ship again. Fresno State would have had a bigger argument had they not dropped two to Boise and Hawaii. They beat several powers on the road, including Colorado and Oregon (or Oregon State, forget which).

I think the argument about loss of class time is a joke also, especially considering the 56 regular season game schedule college baseball manages. It's always about money.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:02 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Oregon State.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by magician
[B]

There was an interesting interview of John Feinstein on NPR yesterday, discussing the BCS.

Quick Reply: Nebraske Fans