Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Left turn signal in the LEFT LANE! (Long)

Old 10-02-2001 | 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever seen anyone behind you having his left turn signal on in the left lane? What an idiot!! He forgot his signal on, right!??? NOOOOOOO, the drivers in Germany have been doing this for years. As you know the autobahn is a highway with no speed limit at all (drooling). Some people go 50mph and other go 150mph. Their has to be a way to separate the two. Well a good idea is fast stay left and slow stay right. But this doesn't always work. So the Germans just by innovation have started the "Letty System" (Don't ask me about the name, dunno) This in my opinion is an amazing system that can save lives and make us enjoy our cars even more. Little did you know that that idiot behind you with the blinker is actually telling you to speed up or change lanes. This is what you do. If you see a slow car in the fast lane. With no one in front of him. You put your blinker on. If he doesn't move, you flash him. If you hasn't gotten your drift by now. You know he is an asshole. So you put the nice little high beams on, stay a little behind so he gets the full effect of our brights. If this is at night, I'm sure he will not turn into the other lane. ( for anyone who's had an s2000 flash them at night from behind, know how blinding this is) This would be great if a lot of people actually started to use this. Imagine, cruising down a street and theirs ONE car and he has to be in the left lane. You put your blinker on way ahead so he can see it. And while still relatively far away he turns into the right lane. And you just keep on cruising at your normal speed ( which should be above 100mph) This would be a dream if this "Letty System" got introduced into the American Society. If you just keep on doing it and doing it, People will catch on. I try to do it daily and 75% of the time, it works. I told you this would be long.
Old 10-02-2001 | 08:14 PM

The left turn signal thing has been around a long time in the states as well (my dad taught me it 15+ yrs ago when I was learning to drive). It works most of the time for me when I have to resort to it. Just sitting behind them for a three-count is usually enough to get most people to move.

In rare cases like when I don't have any room to go around them I may flash the headlights but I'm not riding anyone's tailgate with my brights on. I'd rather just sit tight until traffic opens up and go around them rather than risk them slamming on the brakes (or worse) in some road rage incident.
Old 10-02-2001 | 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been used for a long time in England as well. The problem is that some jerks just don't take the hint!!!!!
Old 10-02-2001 | 09:12 PM

lol, this "letty system" isn't new.
it's always been around. here and there. only problem is... THERE it works. also, when kids learn how to drive there, they mainly learn DRIVERS ED. here in the states, when those dorks turn 16, they get a liscence, but their parents tought em shit about driving and respecting others speed.
my father tought me all ths junk at like 15 as well. when my family and took trips to europe (escpecially germany) i was amazed how how well trained these drivers are. the left lane was mainly empty, and people actually used the lane to the left of them to pass and then always returned to their previous lane.
here, morons see an empty lane and then fall asleep in it.
when i flash my brights EVEN FROM FAR, people mainly slow down even more just to piss me off, and then i see them tilt their mirror down and they flick me off or simply ignore me.
however, i've never really seen people in nice cars give me this problem. it seems to me as if people who drive expensive cars usually KNOW HOW TO REALLY DRIVE.
i also hate it when i let people in and they don't give me that nice simple THANK YOU wave.
what i find that works really well when someones driving slow in the LEFT lane is pass that moron and through a penny out your window... this trick always works, and they quickly switch lanes.
I'M JUST KIDDING! but it really does work
Old 10-02-2001 | 09:58 PM

This system relies upon people using their rearview mirrors. Um, they don't.
Old 10-02-2001 | 10:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pellisS2k
[B]This system relies upon people using their rearview mirrors.
Old 10-02-2001 | 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the other method that is used a lot here in Japan is to just overtake either side of the car that won't get into the correct lane...

It takes a little getting used to after driving in the UK all my life, where people rarely overtake on the inside, but it is certainly effective....
Old 10-02-2001 | 10:28 PM

Learned that myself in Germany... tried it in Texas MAAAAAANY times..doesn't do a damn thing. They just think I have my blinker on like an idiot... best thing: Pass on the right... YIKES... But no other method is available that I know of.

-- Aaron

p.s. Passing (reallllly passing) in rush hour-- get into the exit lane.. haul-ass near the exit..and re-enter. Seems to work well... normally (in rush hour) to get to my beer-party-- 45min. Doing that-- 12min... quite a savings IMHO. I have NO idea why people are going 15mph when there's NOTHING to stop for. Confuses the hell outta me.

Well... I'm sure I'll get flamed for the right-lane passing, etc... bite me. Go 15mph in a 65 and I'll pass your ass any chance I get.

$.02
Old 10-03-2001 | 12:55 AM

Boy, is this a subject that gets my goat! Here in NZ people seem to take it as a great insult if you show you wish to overtake them. The type of drivers that hog the fast lane tend to fall into several categories. First we have the distracted driver with a mobile phone glued to one ear, then we have the nervous learner driver type and finally what I would call the "Taliban" type who feel it is thier duty to keep everyone behind them bang on the legal limit. No amount of flashing lights, be they indicators or high beams, will shift these turkeys. I asked a policeman friend of mine what is the feeling about flashing lights to request the driver in front to pull over and he said he would book anyone doing that.
So it is a big problem. The only avenue open is to sit and wait for an opportunity to zip thru on the slow lane. At least the S2000 has the ability to make short work of it.
Old 10-03-2001 | 02:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is likely not to work here in the US because so many drivers are totally oblivious to what's going on behind them. Many never bother to even look in their rear view mirror. Morons abound!

Quick Reply: Left turn signal in the LEFT LANE! (Long)