Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Left Turn Rant

Old 01-15-2002 | 09:52 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 998 Posts
Default Left Turn Rant

Since this is rant day here's mine: Why do people, when waiting for an intersection to clear, in the left turn lane, not pull out into the intersection in order to give the cars in back of them a chance to make the turn before the light turns red. They have to pull forward to turn left anyway. Instead they just sit there with their front end barely past the crosswalk, with absolutely no regard for anyone but themselves. Tha Raptor's theory: People have become basically inconsiderate of others.
Old 01-15-2002 | 09:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it technicly it is illegal. You can't enter the intersection unless there is room for you to exit it. - I remember from drivers ed days, that it applies to left turns.

Of course, if it is illegal, it's ridictulous. I agree, get the heck into the intersection and let the people behind by. (it has to be standard practice in San Francisco, we really don't believe in left hand turn lanes here)

But we're punished by way over cautious drivers
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:15 AM

I have heard similar arguments from both sides. Growing up in New England, everybody did that-- we were taught to drive up into the intersection and more or less make a 90 degree left turn. When the light turns yellow, that is your only chance to get your arse out of the intersection before the opposing traffic teaches you a lesson!

I have heard people say that it is bad or annoying to squeeze through the yellow, but I don't see why. It doesn't hurt or impede anyone else as long as you don't dilly dally.

Now I WILL say that it is annoying when 10 people try to squeeze through, because that does hinder the opposing traffic.

For yet further pontification, the streets in Northen Virginia present more of a challenge. The intersections are so darn huge and dangerous that many times you're better off just staying put and waiting for a green arrow.

-Dan
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:19 AM

All I can say is that in GA you take your life in your hands turning left on a yellow light. You never know if oncomming traffic is going to try and squeze through that light while you are trying to do the same. It is for this reason I do not pull very far into an intersection unless I can acually turn.
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:20 AM

That works in LA or NE, but in San Diego a yellow light means something entirely different. It does not mean it's your chance to turn left, it means that oncoming traffic should speed up and make it through the intersection before the light turns red. It gets quite nasty when someone from LA is here in SD trying to turn left. That's one of the reasons SD has almost entirely done away with uncontrolled left turns.
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally posted by stooxie

For yet further pontification, the streets in Northen Virginia present more of a challenge. The intersections are so darn huge and dangerous that many times you're better off just staying put and waiting for a green arrow.
Yeah, but in San Francisco, and LA, we're not talking about these relatively large intersections, we're talking about maybe simply a 2 lane road in the city.
Old 01-15-2002 | 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Bruinlax

Yeah, but in San Francisco, and LA, we're not talking about these relatively large intersections, we're talking about maybe simply a 2 lane road in the city.
Which is what we have in New England and it always seemed to work out.

I think the bottom line is that it's cultural. Some areas just decide it's no good while others seem to accept it as a fairly benign practice. Hey, sounds like every aspect of driving!

-Dan