Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Just got a ticket! How are my chances?

Old 08-21-2003 | 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a ticket! How are my chances?

I was in Montana for a road trip. I passed a truck on a two lane highway, and for some reason, I guess he didn't like getting passed(must have been a local who gets irritated by out-of-towners), so when I pull into town, a cop pulls me over and says that they got calls saying that I passed a couple of cars in a no passing zone. Now, I'm not stupid. It was a twisty two lane highway, and I wasn't about to go charging into the other lane with blind corners coming up. When I passed the truck, I was on a long straight-a-way. ( and it was a passing zone). The cop told me that since he had a written report from the truck driver, he was going to give me a citation. Now I have to show up for court next month. Anyway, my question is, do they even have a case? There were no witnesses and no evidence. The only thing they're going on is this truck driver's testimony. Can anyone help me out?
Old 08-21-2003 | 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the cop didn't see you there isn't really much they can do. They shouldn't have even given you a ticket. I am very surprised! Maybe a warning or something... but you weren't even driving reckless or anything. Truly weird. Who knows what happens up there. They might have nothing else to do and figure let's stop this guy for "passing in a no passing zone" cause we're bored.
Old 08-21-2003 | 05:43 PM

The cop didn't witness it and wrote you a ticket on secondhand information (hearsay). Should be tossed pretty easily. I'd even consider calling the officer's superiors and let them know about his behavior.
Old 08-21-2003 | 07:35 PM

Well, that's kind of relieving. It sucks, because I live about 8-9 hours away from the town, and so hopefully I won't have to go up there. I will call up the police station, or maybe even the judge and see if we can work something out. Thanks for the inputs.