Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Insurance question

Old 06-04-2008 | 08:27 AM

Default Insurance question

i have a question about auto insurance

so if i am involved in a very slight accident, something like i bumped into another car's bump, very slightly. if my car is just fine (and i won't claim my insurance for anything), but the other car has slight scratches on the bumper (maybe dinged, but not dented).

if both parties exchanged insurance information

should i report the accident to my insurance company anyway? (if i am not planning on claimming for anything. and the other party's (slight) damage on the bumper will most likely be below my deductable?
Old 06-04-2008 | 08:42 AM

I definitely would not call my insurance company about it, I would first call the other person and see what they were planning on doing.

How old are you and if the other person says they would want to call insurance ask them to get an estimate first and see if you would be willing to pay out of pocket. Any calls to the insurance company will result in them knowing you were in an accident and itll be on file.

Also this risks havingyour insurance rates increase.
Old 06-04-2008 | 08:52 AM

Youre better off just paying to fix the persons bumper and keeping insurance out of it. Insurance may or may not be cheaper up front but keep in mind that your rates will rise, costing you more in the long run.
Old 06-04-2008 | 09:17 AM

insurance is a rip off... we never get anything back when nothing happens... and they raise our premium when something DOES happen. but yes i agree with the previous post, if you're willing to pay for it out of pocket and they agree, then go with that.
Old 06-04-2008 | 09:45 AM

I got hit by someone who wanted to pay out of pocket and then tried to screw me, somewhat. As the person being hit I notified my insurance company immediately and then put it on "hold" to let them know if I would be making a claim that they could then recoup from the hitter's insurance company. The hitter did not inform her company until I told her I was putting it through insurance.

Don't inform them, sign a note indicating your intentions to ease the owner of the other car (you would like an estimate to determine if you'll pay out of pocket) and then decide. They don't have to do anything for you so be nice and make them comfortable.
Old 06-05-2008 | 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by shotiable,Jun 4 2008, 11:17 AM
insurance is a rip off... we never get anything back when nothing happens... and they raise our premium when something DOES happen. but yes i agree with the previous post, if you're willing to pay for it out of pocket and they agree, then go with that.
You must be doing something wrong then because my insurance goes down every year. If insurance is such a ripoff then cancel all your insurance on your home, apartment, jewelry or whatever you have (except car of course because its requried in Cali).

I am sure you can afford to rebuild your current or future home in the event of a fire or earthquake. Rebuilding a house does not cost nearly what it does for your annual homeowners premium
Old 06-05-2008 | 03:20 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by shotiable,Jun 4 2008, 12:17 PM
Think of it like gambling. You bet that you will have a wreck, they bet you will not. They are the house, therefore they must make money in the long run (salaries, overhead, profits).

When you make a claim, you improve the odds that you will have another. Therefore, your premium goes up. Same thing happens if you move to a higher crime area, your credit score drops, choose a high incident rate car, choose an expensive to repair car, etc.

As you grow up, become more mature, improve your credit rating, become a more stable adult, your rate goes down as you are less likely to make a claim.