Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

I just got a bullshit ticket.

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't pay the fine, opt for court. If she doesn't show, it gets dropped. If she doesn't have some proof of the accused speed, it get thrown out. At least that how it works here in FL.
Old 08-07-2007 | 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would they show proof? She told me herself her radar doesnt "log" the speeds.
Old 08-08-2007 | 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm 100% totally wrong, but I've ALWAYS been under the assumption that radar only works when the gun is stationary. Since it measures speed based on how long the signal takes to return, if the gun is moving/accelerating there would be no possible way to have it be accurate.

I don't get how radar is EVER legit. I used to play baseball, and even the most accurate guns specified you needed to be within +/- 20 degrees of the moving object's path to be accurate. Considering most cops clock from the shoulder, that is MUCH more than 20 degrees from the fast lanes.
Old 08-08-2007 | 08:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. See how far off of true your speedo is.
2. If it's not 10mph off, take your evidence and go to court.
Old 08-08-2007 | 07:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 8 2007, 02:48 AM
Maybe I'm 100% totally wrong, but I've ALWAYS been under the assumption that radar only works when the gun is stationary. Since it measures speed based on how long the signal takes to return, if the gun is moving/accelerating there would be no possible way to have it be accurate.

I don't get how radar is EVER legit. I used to play baseball, and even the most accurate guns specified you needed to be within +/- 20 degrees of the moving object's path to be accurate. Considering most cops clock from the shoulder, that is MUCH more than 20 degrees from the fast lanes.
Yes, but if you're off angle (theta) by 20 degrees or more... it makes the observed velocity LOWER. It does not make it higher. So if a cop clocks you speeding, it doesn't matter what angle they clock you at. You were going "at least" that fast.

It doesn't matter that it is inaccurate. If it's off, it'll be in your favor.

Cops are going more to mounted detectors these days to limit personal radiation exposure.
Old 08-08-2007 | 07:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 8 2007, 05:48 AM

I used to work with cops, my parents friend is my god father and he was a cop for 30 years, and I am still friends with a few cops so I kinda know a thing or two about their equipment. Their radar guns have a stationary and a moving mode to them so it doesn't matter whether they are moving or not.

Its actually a very simple code to perform. The stationary is self explanitory, shoot the beam, record time, calculate speed knowing the speed of the radio wave. The moving mode is just as easy. Shoot the beam, record time, calculate speed knowing the speed of the radio wave, and add that to the speed the incar speedo is reading at the time. If your going slower then the cop car, your speed via the gun will be negative thus subtracting it from the cops speedo giving you your speed and if the number is positive then it will add to the cops speedo thus giving you your speed.

Its fairly simple