Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Honda F1 comments?

Old 04-09-2002 | 12:26 PM

Default Honda F1 comments?

Disappointing 3 races so far for team Honda. They have aparently been running on reduced revs for the first several races for reliabilty sake. A new version of the engine with less internal friction is due for the event this weekend, but there was another failure during practice yesterday.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines02/04/s9096.html

I for one am definately not counting them out. They should be able to score some solid points this season, and hopefully take what they learn this season and focus their efforts on winning more championship trophies.
Old 04-09-2002 | 02:10 PM

Honda is sucking ass this year. Toyota has finished ahead of
every Honda powered car every race so far this year.
Old 04-15-2002 | 11:46 AM

Honda dominated the F1 series before and it can do it again. I'm not too worried. Next year, after they pull out og CART, they will focus all their efforts on F1.
Old 04-15-2002 | 12:27 PM

I don't think Honda can be succesful in their current situation. Frankly, BAR and Jordan just don't seem to have the resources (financial or otherwise) to muster a solid program. Consider that Jaguar, Toyota, and Minardi have scored 3, 2, and 2 points respectively, while BAR and Jordan have a combined 0 points in 4 races. Sometimes just having a car that can finish the race is enough for a point, but the 4 Honda cars can't even manage that! The door to getting points is certainly open - The McLaren-Mercedes is down on power, Barichello has no luck whatsoever, The BMW guys seem intent on drag racing Ferrari into the 1st corner of every race, and so on and so forth. But the Honda cars are simply not that fast on a consistent basis.

I'm not sure what Honda's best course of action is. A Manufacturer's team effort (ala Toyota) would allow them more control over results but would take several years to get up to speed, whereas infusing BAR and Jordan with some additional funding and support might offer more immediate (but not guaranteed) results. I thought I saw/heard a comment that if Honda went with a Mfr team, they'd pull engine support from BAR and Jordan.