Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Honda abandons CART

Old 11-29-2001 | 07:25 AM

Default Honda abandons CART

Honda has announced that it will no longer supply engines for CART.

http://www.hondaracing.com/press/releases.html?r=715
Old 11-29-2001 | 08:32 AM
Administrator

American open-wheel racing sucks. First the CART/IRL split now this. Stupid. I'd sure love to see them in LeMans and or Grand Am Hint
Old 11-29-2001 | 08:40 AM
Administrator

As I think about it more I really think it would be cool if we had a Star Honda series...
Old 11-29-2001 | 09:00 AM

As a former CART fan I'm sorry to see this but it comes as no surprise.
As a die-hard F-1 fan I'm happy to see Honda understands CART is a waste of their money and with luck some of that budget will move over into F-1.
The only other thing that would be great is a factory backed S2000 racing program if there is a sanctioning body that would take them!
Old 11-29-2001 | 09:53 AM
Former Moderator

That sucks! I really did enjoy reading this part. . .

"Over the past months CART has implemented engine rules changes that run counter to long established regulations that govern engine rules stability. These actions are a clear indication that Honda can no longer put its trust in the CART rule book or those who administer it."

Take that. . .stupid ass CART folks!
Old 11-29-2001 | 11:55 AM
Member (Premium)

I'm not at all surprised by Honda's decision, given the mess CART has made of things the past 2 or 3 years. The question is, will other engine manufacturers follow suit? (Ford for one has also been very unhappy.) If so, CART may have trouble convincing ANY engine suppliers to go with them, and within the next couple of years the IRL may be the only top-level open-wheel series in America. Who'da thunk that ol' Tony George, without the support of ANY of the top teams and drivers, would be able to win this battle? And in just 6 or 7 years!
Old 11-29-2001 | 12:54 PM
Tox

I don't know if Tony George has exactly won, but US open-wheel racing has definitely been the loser in the little civil war he started. It's not the the IRL is exactly packing them in, either.

As for Honda's withdrawal, IMO they're just using the new engine rules as an excuse to do what they'd already decided to do. And I can hardly blame them. Outside of some S2000 owners who are also race fans here on this board, I wonder if there's a single other Honda customer anywhere who gives a damn about CART.
Old 11-29-2001 | 12:58 PM

At least Honda leaves the stage a winner:

Since joining CART in 1994, Honda has won 60 races and 60 poles in 143 races.

Honda has also won five consecutive drivers championships and three manufacturers championships, the most of any company since the inception of the engine championship.
Old 11-29-2001 | 01:14 PM

I believe Ford actually bowed out before Honda did. Both of the Manufacturers warned CART that they would do so prior to the rule change, but they did it anyways.

Thats like wondering if a gun is loaded, someone telling you that it is, and then you blow your brains out anyways.
Old 11-29-2001 | 01:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Tony George certainly didn't win, CART just lost. But then again CART just plain lost.

Quick Reply: Honda abandons CART