Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Help with a ticket please.

Old 11-24-2007 | 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a ticket please.

Last night at 7:02PM I recieved a $158 ticket for something which I think is wrong.

I had just gotten off of I75 from going out to eat with my girlfriend and was on the way to the movies to catch the 7:10.

Beside me on the off ramp is a Kentucky state police officer in a marked car.

The light turns green and I proceed to accelerate to the speed limit. (I have a digital spedometer that tells me in numbers exactly how fast I am going).

I'm driving along shifting as normal at 4k rpm. The officer is still beside me. At this point I look down to see how fast I am going. 39mph my speedometer says.

I accelerate to 45mph (the speed limit) and stop at that point and hold her steady. The officer swerves behind me very quickly.

Then a car is turning right. There is a turning lane for the car to get into. However the driver is an idiot and is only 3/4 the way into the turning lane. So at this point I can either slam on my brakes and have the officer that is tailgating me almost hit me. Or I can scoot over about six inchs and proceed as normal.

I choose the latter. Exactly three seconds after this i see blue lights behind me. The officer comes up to me and begins to chew me out. "Why were you gooseing the gas back there?"
"I was not at all officer I have a 6 speed that was me shifting"
"don't lie to me damnit"
"yes sir"
"do you think it's funny to pass a state police?"
"no sir I have a digital speedo and you were donig 39mph"
"don't you lie to me I was doing the speed limit"
"yes sir, I appologize"
"well I guess that just makes everything better now doesn't it"
"no officer I never said that, I simply appologized"
"where are you off to tonight?"
"to catch the 7:10 movie"
"well you might of gotten there a little bit sooner if you hadn't pulled that stunt"

The the officer takes my license and proof of insurance and writes me a ticket for "Careless driving".

Saying I was goosing the gas and almost hit another vechile.

My court date is jan. 4th. He told me that If I just pay the fine before the court date then I do not have to go.

I have every intention of going to that court date! What should I do/say to the judge?

Anyone that has been through anything like this please give me some advice.

It seems to me the officer was pissed off because I passed him.

Any help anyone can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Footnotes:
I pass officer doing speed limit.
His road dignity gets hurt.
a car is stoped in partially in my side of the road
i move over 6 inchs and go around him
officer gives ticket
Old 11-24-2007 | 10:50 AM

Cops.
Old 11-24-2007 | 11:54 AM

go look at your ticket and find out what citation you were ticketed for under your local/state regulations and learn how you'll defend it court.

typically cops have designated days to appear in court.
try an reschedule your court date on day your officer has off.

if worse comes to worse and cop does show up, depending on your driving record, you can ask for a p.j.c.

in the future, don't give cops a reason to pull you over.
Old 11-24-2007 | 11:58 AM

The officer was going 39 in a 45, I thought he had no reason to pull me over for going the speed limit.
Old 11-24-2007 | 12:12 PM

one of the things you can bring up in court is the last time the officer's speedometer was calibrated since he was probably tracking you (i assume you don't have a radar detector, and if you do it didn't go off).
a possibility could be that he speedometer was at 45 and any acceleration beyond that could be construed as speeding.
Old 11-24-2007 | 12:47 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

You don't say what state you are in. There is a website for Calif., I think it's ticketassassin.com, but it might help you even if you are elsewhere. Go to court. Be prepared. Be professional. Discuss the facts without emotion.
Good luck. (post here what happened)
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:20 AM

Well, that sucks! I'm curious is your car stock or do you have bigger wheels?
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:45 AM

The state is Kentucky. The ticket is only 20 dollars. The court cost is 138 dollars. However I will still go to court and fight this if it is going to make my insurance rates go up and take points off my license.

My car is stock except for the oem front lip and oem rear wing I added.
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you should have it easy in court, I mean if he didnt state exactly what you did and how it was careless, would be difficult for him to hold up in court, sounds to me hes just a typical pig with penis envy.

Bring up anything about his speedo calibration wont hold anything in court being this is not a speeding case, souds like you took awhile to go to 45 mph and that sounds prudent enough.

Make SURE you bring up he is tail gating you, because that is not only illegal for anyone to do, but if the officer had witnessed you breaking a law, its his job to then immediately pull you over, not tailgate you, this is dangerous. Also, your swerve was necessary to prevent an accident because a sudden stop with a cop on your ass coulda been nasty. So in anycase, you should have this one in court.

That cop is a dick and a fag, I cant wait to smell that pork rotting in hell.
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricosuave,Nov 24 2007, 03:54 PM
go look at your ticket and find out what citation you were ticketed for under your local/state regulations and learn how you'll defend it court.

typically cops have designated days to appear in court.
try an reschedule your court date on day your officer has off.

if worse comes to worse and cop does show up, depending on your driving record, you can ask for a p.j.c.

in the future, don't give cops a reason to pull you over.
Thats a good idea, but they now get heafty overtime pay for going to court on their days off, so most likely the pig will squeal.

Quick Reply: Help with a ticket please.