Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

HELP! American Airlines SUX

Old 12-29-2006 | 09:13 AM

Smile HELP! American Airlines SUX

My daughter flew home from LA for the Holidays and was in an accident and broke her arm in 3 places. She has a 3" long plate in her arm, 2 pins and 3 incisions from the surgery. She is having to delay her return flight so that she can go back to the doctor for a check up and get a hard cast.

She bought one of those non refundable tickets that has a service charge to change your flight. We understand that as the kids have had to change flights in the past.

We had hoped that a medical emergency would waive the fee, but AA only honors medical emergencies on overseas flights. Their service charge on this ticket is more than the cost of a new ticket.

She talked to them for about 20 minutes before giving me the phone. I asked for and got a supervisor (Lisa Scott out of Raleigh N.C.) and was told the same thing. When I asked for a way to see these terms they were quoting me they told me I couldn't that I had to just accept their word.

When I asked for a supervisor she said there was no one at AA that would take the calls from the public.

My kids were proud of me I wasn't shouting or anything, yet. I simply told her that she could give my number to her supervisor or I would call the office of the president.

She said all AA phone numbers were unlisted except for phones up to her level and that I was welcome to try.

Does anyone have any phone numbers for anyone up the ladder at AA?

BTW we purchased a new ticket from Southwest Airlines for $60 LESS than what AA wanted to charge us to change her flight.
Old 12-29-2006 | 09:20 AM

Almost all airlines suck total ass. It's just a matter of time before you get screwed by the next one. They charge you way too much, oversell seats, cram you in a tiny dirty seat like a slave ship, treat you like shit in coach, barely better in 1st class...change fees are out of control. Flying is the safest and worst way to travel. Anything under 1000 miles and I drive.
Old 12-29-2006 | 09:29 AM

Well, since her arm is in pieces I don't think driving is an option

I have found out that the no phone number statement is BS. I am on hold right now at AMR. Don't know if I will get anywhere.

THEY FUNNELLED ME BACK TO THE SAME PERSON - well let me try again.

What really pissed me off is that they claim that they don't have to show me the terms of the ticket. Which would mean they could just change it to anything they liked at any time.

A little while back there was a website floating around that gave insider phone numbers to different companies. Does anyone have that link?
Old 12-29-2006 | 09:30 AM

You need to sign up but, it might be worth a try

http://center.spoke.com/info/c2KYm/AmericanAirlinesInc
Old 12-29-2006 | 09:38 AM

AMR Corporation
4333 Amon Carter Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76155
United States - Map
Phone: 817-963-1234
Fax: 817-967-9641
Web Site: http://www.amrcorp.com

Mr. Gerard J. Arpey , 47
Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer, Pres, Chairman of American Airlines Inc., Chief Exec. Officer of American Airlines Inc. and Pres of American Airlines Inc

Phone or write Mr. Arpey.
Old 12-29-2006 | 09:57 AM

Well, after 2 cordless phone batteries and getting sent back to the same Lisa Scott multiple times, who would gloat each time, I finally reached a problem solver in corporate headquarters who will transfer her flight for nothing. Of course we've already bought another ticket.

But she is calling SW airlines to see if she can get them to cancel their ticket.
Old 12-29-2006 | 10:18 AM

Well SW airlines was very nice. AA didn't call SW but my daughter did and explained the situation and they promptly refunded the non-refundable ticket they'd issued.

AA made the ticket change for no cost due to all the problems I'd gone thru. They also filed a complaint with Ms. Scott's supervisor and gave me the secret provisions for filing one myself.

Now I love the gloating comments she made everytime I reached her again, they will make good info for the complaint.

And, NO, AA airlines phone numbers are not unlisted. Yes, you have to go thru an operator who will want to send you back to Customer (bad) Relations department, but all you have to do is ask for the Executive offices.

When I got the address of the AA office I was going to make a personal visit Tuesday since that is only about an hour away from me, but that was not needed fortunately.
Old 12-29-2006 | 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=CBR2200,Dec 29 2006, 12:20 PM] Almost all airlines suck total ass.
Old 12-29-2006 | 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by saluki9,Dec 29 2006, 12:55 PM
Uh, if the planes are cramped (i agree) and they charge you too much (disagree) why aren't they making any money? (rhetorical question, it's too capital intensive a business to ever make lasting profits)

I think the problem is that flying is too cheap, not too expensive.
southwest airlines
Old 12-29-2006 | 10:20 PM

I flew with AA once and was not to happy with them so I never fly with them anymore my girlfriend changed her ticket on Continental and had no problem at all doing so. If you ever need to file a complaint that will bother the company check out this website http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/ just check out the front page it tells you what the website does.

Quick Reply: HELP! American Airlines SUX