Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Got pulled over by the cops? Do you admit to speeding?

Old 05-18-2004 | 08:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kiki

Old 05-18-2004 | 09:04 AM

once I was got pulled over and the cop asked me do you know why I pulled you over and I told him if I knew why you pulled me over I would have pulled over 4 blocks ago..... He look at my papers and told me to FU** Off.
Old 05-18-2004 | 11:14 AM

Originally posted by jeffxyan
I heard that you never admit that you were wrong. What happens is if he never clocked you with a radar gun then they can't prove it in court. He has to show you the radar gun and that is was recently tested and adjusted to accurate measure how fast you were going. It's like the same thing as an officer can ask you to search your car. If you say yes then you just gave him a verbal agreement otherwise you can tell him no and if he had a good reason to ask you to begin with then he needs to have a search warrant. I don't know if this is entirely true but someone can't assume that you were speeding without evidence of it.
they don't have to show you the radar gun. if you ask normally they won't let you in their car for insurance reasons, etc unless you are arrested. they don't have to show you the radar unit was tested/calibrated recently, either (they probably don't carry the radar unit's paperwork in the car). you can subpoena the documents for this in court, though
Old 05-18-2004 | 04:46 PM

You know technically they have to read the Miranda rights to you BEFORE questioning, so those questions/answers would be thrown out of any court.
Old 05-18-2004 | 04:47 PM

...and a lot of officers need no radar gun, they can ticket you if it appears that you're speeding.
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MY04NFRS2000
this reminds me of my speeding incident. i was on the parkway going home from school around 10 pm and this car was following me and trying to mess with me or trying to get me to race him. it was an POS car so i just ignored him.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Incubus
You know technically they have to read the Miranda rights to you BEFORE questioning, so those questions/answers would be thrown out of any court.
not entirely true. your rights only have to be read for certain misdermeaners (class B and above i think) and felonies. traffic tickets are a class A if i recall correctly, and your rights don't have to be read, and what you say is still admissable in court. get arrested for driving with a suspended liscense, you won't have your rights read but you will be hauled in.
Old 05-18-2004 | 06:56 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ
Old 05-18-2004 | 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Incubus

As in ......

You have the right to remain silent,
You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning,
If you give up that right, anything you say will be taken down in pencil,
changed at a later date, and used as evidence against you!
Old 05-19-2004 | 07:57 AM

that's right man. You know you can be arrested and hauled to jail without being read your rights at all. They just need that for questioning. You can also be read your rights if there is no intention of arrest...though it's still some scary sh!t when you're a sophomore in high school.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over by the cops? Do you admit to speeding?