Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Got pulled over by the cops? Do you admit to speeding?

Old 05-17-2004 | 12:56 PM

Never admit speed - it is a confession of a disputed subject.

mY brother-in-law is a criminal defense attorney, and he said never provide anything more than your license, registration, and proof of insurance. You do not have to answer anything. Never let them search you car without a warrant, either; they are not going to be nicer if you do. I give the guy a few moments to mull it over, and say "No, you may not, am I free to go?" Every time, the answer is "Yes". He was just fishing. looking for an easy pipe or rolling papers ticket, and I do not do drugs and neither do I like invasion of my private prorperty.

I ask "why did you pull me over?", and let him/her/it tell me his "legal opinion". I have not had a speeding conviction since 1978. Two I beat by just showing up, one by showing that the officer's charge was hearsay (he was not running the radar), and once I got off by simply saying that "while I am sure the officer is telling his side of things truthfully, I was not speeding, and I felt strongly enough about it that I took time out from work and drove 42 miles to be here today". Judge dismissed it.

I do not flout the Law, but all these were blatant speed trap/money grabs, and all bets are off when The Law is an Ass.
Old 05-17-2004 | 01:05 PM

I got pulled over in my brothers 98 supra last week. We were crusing back to my house behind my older brothers Nsx. I was on a st8 away and saw a cop a long distance behind me i was driving 30 mph and got pulled over for wreckless driving and high speeding. I said to him high speeding wreckless driving !!! wut!! he said to me where is the flames where is ur nitris im clueless of wut he is saying. He said y were u speeding i said to him if i was speeding none of u fuking cops would catch me asshole wouldnt even come close. he gave me a 175 dollar ticket and im taking him to court most cops are assholes
Old 05-17-2004 | 03:45 PM

Like any group of people, most are decent in my opinion. some are 'holes. I have never found a race, profession, etc where most were anything but just like you and I.

I know you were typing fast, but the irony of getting cited for "wreckless" (which means no wreck occured) where you meant "reckless" (without concern) is a Freudian slip not to be missed.

You must acquire an attorney - that is abuse you were handed, and reckless is serious. Good Luck - I think the truth will win the day.

Did he tell on what he based his opinions? Radar? LIDAR? VASCAR? Quija Board?
Old 05-17-2004 | 04:17 PM

Sorry I didn't read through the thread, just the title question.

Anyway, one of the senior moderators on the forum I run is a cop. She wrote up some beneficial information, which may be of interest to some.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showth...&threadid=25945

Bottomline, don't admit guilt!
Old 05-17-2004 | 07:18 PM

I only admit "quilt" on a cold winter night. But anyway, could a ticket for cutting off an unmarked unit (without using my turn signal he said)to avoid a slower moving van be able to be defended in court? And by slower moving I mean under the speed limit by maybe 10 mph while I was going about 5 miles over (65 in a 60). The ticket was given for Careless Operation.
Please don't chime in and say "you should have just slammed on the brakes" I think it should be against the law for cars to drive 3 abreast on the interstate going under the speed limit and would rather blip the trottle to try to pass than to get stuck behind the wall.
Old 05-17-2004 | 07:22 PM

^ noticed my spelling error
Old 05-17-2004 | 07:48 PM

Never answer a question with an admission of guilt.
"Do you know why I stopped you?"
How could you possibly know? Do you really want to guess and add fodder to their notes section?

However, I also subscribe to the thought that if you're speeding at a ridiculous
amount over the limit and you're nailed, handle your business like a man . If you can get out of it, fine but getting angry at the trooper for doing his job is high school. You sped, you got nailed...buy a better radar and get on with your life.
Old 05-17-2004 | 08:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WPS
if it's a speed trap don't , if the cop is just on the street either yes or play dumb.
Old 05-18-2004 | 07:46 AM

Cop: Do you know why I stopped you?
Me: You're on a new beat and want directions to the nearest donut shop?
Old 05-18-2004 | 08:10 AM

I get pulled over ALL THE TIME and each time I question the cop regardless if I was speeding or not and they have ALL told me this:

#1 They LOOK for S2000s (they assume we are speeding)

#2 Red sports cars really DO attract their attention more(Mine is red)

I might as well speed all the time if I'm likely to get pulled over anyway.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over by the cops? Do you admit to speeding?