Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Got pulled over by the cops? Do you admit to speeding?

Old 05-17-2004 | 09:24 AM

Until the officer tells you, you can't be sure why you were pulled over. You could have simply had a tail light bulb out.

I just say that I don't know why I was pulled over, and if asked how fast I was going I apologize and say I wasn't paying close attention.

So why confess? If they caught you speeding, they don't need an admission of guilt to ticket you.
Old 05-17-2004 | 09:37 AM

I heard that you never admit that you were wrong. What happens is if he never clocked you with a radar gun then they can't prove it in court. He has to show you the radar gun and that is was recently tested and adjusted to accurate measure how fast you were going. It's like the same thing as an officer can ask you to search your car. If you say yes then you just gave him a verbal agreement otherwise you can tell him no and if he had a good reason to ask you to begin with then he needs to have a search warrant. I don't know if this is entirely true but someone can't assume that you were speeding without evidence of it.
Old 05-17-2004 | 09:55 AM

dont ever talk when you get pulled over by cops.....They have a spot on their copy where they write notes.... (JUST CAME FROM COURT).
Old 05-17-2004 | 09:59 AM

this reminds me of my speeding incident. i was on the parkway going home from school around 10 pm and this car was following me and trying to mess with me or trying to get me to race him. it was an POS car so i just ignored him. after a few minutes of me ignoring his speeding and his swirving through lanes in front of me and him tailgating me he got angry. so he started following me where ever i went. at the end were on another high way and my exit was coming up so i started to the exit lane. he followed me again so i decided to signal to see if he was gonna exit too. he signals with me so i said F*&K this im not exiting with this nut (knowing that at the end of the exit there was a 2 lane traffic light). so i didnt have my glock with me so i wasnt ready for war so i decided to lose him and exit at the next exit. as i lost him and was about to exit i see police lights turn on. he pulled me over and the POS car kept going. the cop says: "I pulled you over because u were going 120 and swirving through lanes". He also said: "I have been following u for a bit, u and ur friend who were racing on the highway". So i said "he isnt my friend, hes sum crazy guy whose been following me around" then i told him that i wanted to lose him because he was going to exit with me etc...". Well at the end he said "ok...ill let u go with a warning, have a nice day". So i did the opposite and did admit i was speeding..sorry for the long story im bored
Old 05-17-2004 | 10:02 AM

What if he states he was "pacing" you for like 1/2 a mile? Cause thats what happened to me. What arguments can be used in court? btw, 75 in a 65 supposedly!
Old 05-17-2004 | 10:03 AM

Originally posted by allenheathdj
dont ever talk when you get pulled over by cops.....They have a spot on their copy where they write notes.... (JUST CAME FROM COURT).
Precisely.

I just look straight ahead, hand them my license and insurance while turning up the radio, and don't say a word.
Old 05-17-2004 | 11:22 AM

Many times the police do not get you on a radar and they have to make an educated guess as to your speed. If they get you on radar they write it down on the citation. They ask when they dont have you on radar so dont give them the info they need to give you a ticket...
Old 05-17-2004 | 11:37 AM

Worst comes to worst, plead not guilty and the day of the trial if the cop comes, just change your plea to guilty and ask the judge for traffic school.... I did that today.
Old 05-17-2004 | 12:11 PM

Court can be a joke too. I have experinenced this several times also. Once I went to fight a ticket that I thought was BS, it was a race(NASCAR) weekend and this little town had a trap setup, just so they could pay for the toys they had recently got (police equipment). And that what it was really about, they were policing a highway in my opinion that they had no right to. The 4 lane highway was just easy money, anyway went to court. I was supposedly radared by an unmarked car, judge asked me was I speeding I said no. I said I don't even know where I was clocked, he asked me how fast I was going, I said at what point? He said you don't know how fast you where going? I don't know of anyone that can hold the exact same speed, going over hills, for a 5 to 8 mile stretch. Especially when they don't know to pay close attention to the speed to begin with.
I'll bet I could ask the Judge what speed he was going on his way to court that day at any mile marker, and he could not say EXACTLY in good faith what his speed was. That is basically what he was asking me.
Old 05-17-2004 | 12:28 PM

I will never admit to going too fast again. I made that mistake once when I was around 18. I had just totally my car in a rain storm (slid off the road into a tree. ) Met a cop at the accident scene a couple of hours after the wreck to fill out an accident report. Cop asks me if I was going a little to fast for the weather. I said "I guess I must have been." (felt like saying something smart but didn't) Then the cop writes me a ticket for Too Fast for Conditions. As if wrecking my car wasn't bad enough.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over by the cops? Do you admit to speeding?