Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Gas Prices Hypothetical

Old 09-03-2005 | 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Hunt,Sep 3 2005, 08:11 PM
rising gas prices suck. I go to school full time pay for school, pay for my school books, finance my S2000, pay for insurance on my S2000, I'm 20, I live in NJ where insurance is like the highest in the world, and I'm a busboy at a restaurant. I can barely afford my S2k as it is and if gas keeps on going up I might have to get rid of it
hate to say this man, but from what I know about what busboys get paid, you probably couldn't afford the S2000 even before fuel prices started skyrocketing. scraping by to pay for a sports car is not "affording" it.

$.02
Old 09-04-2005 | 07:21 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Don't forget the Brit is probably talking about liters, not gallons, so if your math is correct, and you figured gallons, it's probably higher than your result.
Part of the less traffic could also be ppl are glued to their tv sets watching Katrina impact. We'll have to wait and see over the next few weeks what's really going on. Schools and colleges starting up will have an effect also.
Old 09-04-2005 | 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by CypherAZ,Sep 3 2005, 09:56 AM
What about low-mid income families that already barely getting by? People that do all those low income jobs that are essential for our country to survive. This thread really shows how dumb alot of people really are. As the cost of living goes up, i'm sorry to tell you this but the overall quality of living for EVERYONE is going to decrease.
I agree. Its no big deal to us. But the many Americans are paying $200 more a month just to survive vs. 2 months ago. My house electricity costs have more than doubled and of course gas. Its all good to most of us, we can just say "*uck it". But the average america is already living check to check. Its not all good.
Old 09-04-2005 | 10:09 AM

Not to sound unsympathetic, but I do have empathy on those who produce low income. I came from a low income family so I know how bad it can get. My family didn't suffer the financial responsibilities like most families experience in So Cal; simply because I am the only child

However, feelings aside and looking at the bigger picture, it is not our fault that they are financially irresponsible. In my profession I have ran into families who struggle to survive because they cannot keep a stable job, or have multiple dependents. Lets face it, I'm single and I can't imagine how I would live if I make less than 80 a year. Why? Because I have grown accustomed to making certain levels of income and I am extremely financially responsible - not to mention I am in a high dollar secure debt thanks to college

Those who complain about how they are struggling and how they are bitter about successful people are those who I despise the most. All they do is b*tch, complain how society favors the rich while they are sitting on their 20 year old sofa, watching TV, eating bon-bons and collecting a welfare check. I ran into a couple in their mid 20's once... the female filed for bankruptcy and the husband is unemployed. Couple has two kids and when I went into their financial planning the wife told me... "I'm not good about saving money, if I had $1,000 in my pocket and saw a purse I wanted to buy for $1,000; I'd buy it! I don't care if I have to take the bus home." -- sadly enough she was serious.

Hopefully, with the increase in gas prices those people will get off there asses and getting a real job or going back to school.

Old 09-04-2005 | 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tritium_pie,Sep 4 2005, 12:47 AM
hate to say this man, but from what I know about what busboys get paid, you probably couldn't afford the S2000 even before fuel prices started skyrocketing. scraping by to pay for a sports car is not "affording" it.

$.02
I work at a decent place, Aozora in Montclair NJ, it's not bad. I get around 100 dollars a day and work 3 days a week.
Old 09-04-2005 | 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dylan Hunt,Sep 4 2005, 07:05 PM
I work at a decent place, Aozora in Montclair NJ, it's not bad. I get around 100 dollars a day and work 3 days a week.
1200 a month? So what do you do on the other 3 days of the week where you don't work? have another job?
Old 09-04-2005 | 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you forgetting about taxes. The other days I go to school. Sucks.
Old 09-04-2005 | 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dylan Hunt,Sep 4 2005, 11:05 AM
I rest my case.
Old 09-04-2005 | 10:02 PM

i live i n so cal also, and have noticed a moderate decrease in traffic during the "busy" times. not sure if it's directly related to the gas price jump, but regardless, i would not go as far as to be happy about the price increase. the cost of living as a whole increases with gas prices.

i have a few businesses, and the products i sell have gone up in price (in terms of what I pay) because of the increase in freight costs, and therefore I have to then pass this price hike on to my customers (so their cost goes up) and it is just a vicious cycle. that's pretty much it. .02 given.

(but i'll pay almost any amount to drive the s2, it's just too much fun)
Old 09-04-2005 | 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by S4_dukar,Sep 1 2005, 11:47 AM
Ever since gas prices increased to $3 per gallon, I have personally noticed there is less traffic on the freeways, even during rush hour.
My family was vacationing in Hawaii the last two weeks, that why it was less traffic in Southern California.